We may earn money or other compensation from the companies or products mentioned in this post.
D23 Expo 2019. The next D23 Expo is August 23-25 2019 and the time to get ready is now; we’ll show you what to do and what to expect below so keep reading. Let’s get ready for the ultimate gathering of Disney fans with D23 Expo Prep!
My complete D23 Expo experience from 2017 is documented here, take a look!
Since Disneyland planning is my full-time gig, I couldn’t help but to apply similar strategies to D23 Expo.
D23 Expo 2019: What is D23?
D23 is “The Official Disney Fan Club” sponsored by the Walt Disney Company. D23 launched in 2009 and stands for Disney 1923. 1923 being the year Walt Disney arrived in California, founding the Walt Disney Company. Membership in the D23 fan club comes in three options: General (free), Gold and Gold Family. If you’re not a member yet, head over here to become a D23 member.
From there you can see all the perks and options that come with your D23 Membership. I’ve gone Gold in preparation for the D23 Expo which we’ll talk about shortly.
D23 Expo 2019: Dates & Tickets
When is D23 Expo 2019? The D23 Expo will be held at the Anaheim Convention Center August 23-25, 2019 and is typically held every-other year. Tickets for D23 Expo 2019 go on sale August 23, 2018. Multi-day tickets and Saturday only tickets do sell out quickly.
When do D23 Expo tickets go on sale? D23 Expo 2019 tickets go on sale on Thursday, August 23, 2018. General admission tickets are $89 for a one-day adult admission and $69 for children. Note the taxes and shipping fees associated with the ticket purchase. And, you can even get shopping started early with exclusive add-ons during check out.
How much are D23 Expo tickets? Tickets are $89 for one-day adult admission and $69 for children. Discount three-day tickets are also available at D23expo.com. Tickets include entrance to the D23 Expo and NOT Disneyland Resort. Keep reading for discount Disneyland tickets.
How much are D23 Expo tickets for early bird discounts? There are no early bird discounts for the 2019 event unless you are a D23 Gold Member.
Do Gold Members get a discount? Yes, D23 Gold Members will see a discount on admission including discounted single-day and multi-day tickets and discount early bird tickets.
How much are D23 Expo tickets for Gold Members? Tickets are $67 for one day, early bird ($79 after November 20) and $177 for three day early bird ($219 after November 20).
Is there an Early Bird discount? Yes, for D23 Gold Members only who purchase their tickets from August 23–November 20, 2018. Gold Family Members can save $72 off the price of admission, and may purchase up to four three-day tickets at the D23 Gold Member “Early Bird” rate.
What is the VIP Sorcerer Ticket? “A limited number of VIP Sorcerer Packages for D23 Expo 2019 will be available exclusively to both D23 Gold and Gold Family Members at $2,500 per ticket. The Sorcerer Package includes a three-day admission ticket with a commemorative Sorcerer credential; reserved seating at presentations; a preview day with a tour of the show floor and advance shopping opportunities; a Haunted Mansion-themed welcome reception; a packed D23 Expo gift pack, including an exclusive bag provided by D23 Expo 2019 sponsor American Tourister, and more. Members can purchase up to two Sorcerer tickets.” -D23 Communications
When will D23 Expo tickets be mailed? Tickets will be mailed beginning about July 20, 2019 for U.S. residents.
Can I pick up my D23 tickets at will call? I expect will call pick up is available starting on Thursday, August 22, 2019 at 10:00 am – 8:00 pm, Friday and Saturday from 7 to 7 and Sunday at 8:00 am.
What were ticket prices like in 2017? Ticket prices from 2017 are listed below.
D23 Expo 2019: Hotels
Hotels surrounding the Anaheim Convention Center fill up fast when a big event like the D23 Expo hits town. The hotels nearest the convention center like the Hilton Anaheim and Doubletree Convention Center typically sell out for Expo dates a year in advance which means the time to book is NOW!
I use Get Away Today for my hotel searches near Disneyland Resort. Get your Disneyland discount tickets here and enjoy an extra $10 off when booking a hotel stay of two nights or more. Use promo code Happiest10 at checkout.
I’ve stayed at many hotels near Disneyland Resort and the Anaheim Convention Center, including Hilton Anaheim Convention Center, Eden Roc, The Anaheim Hotel and more. See my full hotel reviews here.
D23 Expo 2019: Disneyland Tickets
In the past, D23 Expo attendees can purchase discount Disneyland Resort tickets for pre-arrival purchase only. If you have purchased your D23 Expo ticket, you will receive information on Disneyland Resort tickets via email. Prices can change at any time and tickets can only be purchased through the custom link provided in your D23 ticket email. No word yet if this type of discount will be available in 2019.
- In 2017 the ticket options were as follow. Limit of 6 tickets per order, 2 orders per D23 attendee
- Tickets are valid for use 7/10/17-7/21/17
- $111 adult, $105 child for 1 day, 1 park ($156/150 to park hop)
- $183 adult, $172 child for 2 days, 1 park ($213/202 to park hop)
- $215 adult, $205 child for 3 days, 1 park ($246/236 to park hop)
- $242 adult, $229 child for 4 days, 1 park ($274/261 to park hop)
- $258 adult, $245 child for 5 days, 1 park ($289/276 to park hop)
- Twilight Tickets (entrance at 4pm or 4 hours before park closing, whichever is earlier) $75 for 1 day, 1 park or $109 for a hopper. Note: Twilight Tickets are not available at other time, this is a special for those attending the D23 Expo.
- You can also get discount Disneyland tickets for use any day of the year, regardless of if you attend D23 with our partner here.
D23 Expo 2019: Planning Your Day
Planning your day at the D23 Expo is probably the most difficult part of the convention. Gold members get special perks like early entrance to the expo which can save you time and possibly get you into prime presentations. I used my Gold Member perks during the 2017 event here.
I suggest you pick a 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice in case certain presentations reach capacity or you can’t make it there in time due to parking or other circumstances. Remember to add time to the beginning of each presentation for waiting in line and be sure to add some time for shopping!
For lines, expect plenty of them. D23 Expo experts say to arrive by 4 am each morning if you want to get into the major Hall D23 morning panel. Many, many people stay overnight.
Overnight queueing is almost a rite of passage for the super-dedicated. You may still get a seat without lining up overnight but obviously the best seats go to those who arrive first. Thursday and Friday you can begin official line-up (I say official because informal lines may begin prior) at 10pm and will be escorted inside for overnight lines. No overnight lines for Sunday panels. Not into overnight queueing? Most people say be there by 4 am for the best seats. Certainly don’t arrive at opening or even an hour before, you may not make it inside in time for the panel.
Panel rooms are cleared out before each session. You cannot stay in for one presentation and stay in for the next. Many people do leave and hop into line right away, but there is no guarantee you’ll get back in.
If you want limited edition merchandise or premium seating, expect to spend lots of time in line. There’s just no way around it if you’re looking at the Hall D23 panels. Smaller panels may be less crowded.
D23 Expo 2019 On Display All Weekend
In addition to numerous panels and presentations, you can find shopping galore and these displays all weekend on the D23 Expo show floor. From 2017 we saw:
- “Galaxy of Stories” at the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts pavilion with an exclusive first-look at the fully detailed model of the overall vision of the new Star Wars land coming to Disneyland in 2019 including some of the locations, starships, creatures, and droids we plan to find there.
- “Mickey’s of Glendale” returns with imagineering-exclusive merchandise like specialty pins, limited-edition collectibles, and merchandise you can’t find anywhere else (expect of course on eBay at crazy high prices after the expo).
- “Disney Music Emporium” features products and album signings including composer Michael Giacchino, composer Tyler Bates, Auli’i Cravalho, Dove Cameron, Sofia Carson, and Lorelay Bove, plus Hollywood Records artists Jordan Fisher and Temecula Road. With the purchase of select music products at the Disney Music Emporium Pavilion, guests will be issued a wristband to secure a space for an album signing.
D23 Expo 2019 Walt Disney Archives
A full schedule of panels all weekend from the Disney Archives Stage.
D23 Expo 2019 Schedule Friday
In 2017, this is what we saw on Friday’s schedule. I expect a similar schedule for main panels like Legends and Animation to be on Friday in 2019:
- Disney Legends Awards 10:00 am (confirmed, see below)
- Pixar and Walt Disney Animations Studios 2:30 pm (confirmed), hosted by John Lasseter talking up coming films including Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-it Ralph 2, Coco, and The Incredibles 2. Attendees can also expect surprise announcements, musical performances, and appearances by star voice talent. Cell phones, cameras, and all recording devices will be checked for this presentation.
- Cup o’Joe 1:15 pm (confirmed), Joe Quesada, CCO of Marvel hosts a discussion on all things Marvel. Will he announce a Marvel Land for California Adventure?
- Pirates of the Caribbean: 50 Years of Swashbuckling Adventures in Disney Parks 3:30 pm (confirmed), imagineers tell tales tracing the attractions early origins to the latest technical achievements of Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for the Sunken Treasure at Shanghai Disneyland.
- Marvel Animation 6:00 pm (confirmed), surprise filled panel of sneak peeks, special guests, exclusive footage and announcements.
- Mousequerade a showcase of attendees costumes.
D23 Expo 2019 Disney Legends Ceremony
The Legends Ceremony will take place Friday, July 14, 2017 in the D23 Hall. Celebrating 30 years of Disney Legends, the highest honor an individual can receive from The Walt Disney Company. In 2017 legends included:
- Carrie Fisher- Princess Leia actress in Star Wars
- Clyde “Gerry” Geronimi- Walt Disney Studios animator
- Manuel Gonzales- Walt Disney artist
- Mark Hamill- Luke Skywalker actor in Star Wars
- Wayne Jackson- Walt Disney Imagineer
- Stan Lee- Marvel powerhouse and comic character creator
- Garry Marshall- ABC writer, producer, director and actor
- Julie Taymor- Tony®-, Emmy®-, and Grammy®-winning and Oscar®-nominated filmmaker
- Oprah Winfrey- ABC films producer; will co-star as Mrs. Which in Disney’s 2018 film A Wrinkle in Time.
D23 Expo 2019 Schedule Saturday
In 2017, this is what we saw on Saturday’s schedule. I expect a similar schedule for main panels like Live Action and Parks Panel to be on Saturday in 2019:
- Live Action at Walt Disney Studios 10:30 am (confirmed), talking new films from Disney, Marvel and Lucasfilms
- The Power of the Princess 10:30 am (confirmed), hosted by Walt Disney Animation Studios animators Amy Smeed and Kira Lehtomaki as they share stories from Disney Princesses. Appearances by voice actresses as well including Jodi Benson (Ariel), Ming-Na Wen (Mulan), Anika Noni Rose (Tiana), and Auli‘i Cravalho (Moana).
- Creating the Worlds in Pixar’s Universe 12:15 pm (confirmed), go behind the scenes on a visual tour of the amazing worlds created in Pixar films––from oceans and outer space, to mountain tops and “monstropolises.”
- Olaf’s Frozen Adventure: A Sneak Peek at the New Frozen Short Film 2:30 pm (confirmed), exclusive and behind-the-scenes footage from Walt Disney Animation Studios’ newest Frozen holiday short film.
- Walt Disney Parks and Resorts 3:00 pm (confirmed), will they announce a Marvel Land for California Adventure?
- The Evolution of Pixar’s Characters 6:00 pm (confirmed), legendary Pixar artists share what it’s like to draw these and create our favorite Pixar characters.
- Disney on Broadway
D23 Expo 2019 Schedule Sunday
We expect to see a similar, low(er) key schedule on Sunday in 2019:
- A Whole New World of Alan Menken 10:30 am and 5:00 pm, (confirmed). Alan Menken, eight-time Academy Award® winner, became a Disney Legend in 2001. You’ll remember his classic tunes like “Under the Sea”, “Be Our Guest”, “Colors of the Wind” and more. Alan’s one-man show, A Whole New World of Alan Mencken, will bring to life songs from Disney films along with stories from his amazing career in film, TV, and theater.
- Bambi’s 75th Anniversary 11:30 am (confirmed), personal stories from the voice cast, anecdotes behind the making of this film and its exquisite hand-drawn artwork.
- Inspiring Women of Imagineering 12:15 pm (confirmed), panel features talented women of Walt Disney Imagineering.
- Voices of Disney Parks 2:30 pm (confirmed), some of the most recognizable voices heard across Disney Parks as these talented voice actors share stories from their vocal vocations.
- Legends of Walt Disney Imagineering 6:00 pm John Stamos leads this panel with Marty Sklar, Tony Baxter and more.
We’re only just beginning on our D23 Expo Prep; be sure to sound off in the comments with your tips and questions for the the D23 Expo 2019.
Disneyland expert who also loves the beach, flip flops and pink nail polish.