Disneyland reopening details. Here’s all the information you need as you head back to Disneyland in 2021.
Disneyland Resort first closed on March 14, 2020. Since then the world has shifted in dramatic ways.
Through it all, one thing remains certain—there are elements in our lives we missed. Things we needed to do, see and experience to make life feel somewhat normal again. For many of us, that means visiting our beloved Disney Parks.
As theme parks reopen around the world, we’re excited to see Disneyland Resort reopening with theme park operations in 2021.
Indoor Masks Effective 7/30/21
Recent changes in the country and from the CDC have prompted Disney to revise their mask policy. Effective July 30, 2021:
- All guests, regardless of vaccination status, must mask indoors.
- All guests must remain masked during indoor queues.
- All guests must remain masked during indoor rides and attractions.
- All guests must remain masked while shopping indoors.
- All guests must remain masked in Disney hotels common areas.
You may remain unmasked while outdoors or while dining.
Disneyland Reopening Date
When does Disneyland open?
Here’s when Disneyland is reopening and what it means for visitors planning vacations.
- April 30, 2021. Disney has reopened for California residents, park hopping allowed beginning at 1:00 pm.
- April 29, 2021 Disney’s Grand Californian is reopened.
- June 15, 2021 Disneyland opens for out of state guests.
- June 15, 2021 Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel reopens.
- July 2, 2021 Disneyland Hotel reopens.
- July 30, 2021 Masks required indoors for all guests.
- Layaway Packages my ticket partner offers the most flexible travel plans with layaway.
Know before you go regarding Disneyland’s reopening:
- Theme park reservations are still required, along with a valid ticket.
- See what’s happening during your visit here.
Tickets & Reservations
Disneyland has always limited the number of people inside the parks at one time, but they do not release official attendance numbers to the public.
Capacity limits are now lifted and crowds is always a concern. I personally like the idea of reservations, this way Disneyland can know how to better accommodate the number of guests each day with proper staffing, food, etc.
Do I need a reservation even if I have tickets to Disneyland?
Yes, you will need reservations in addition to your park ticket for park admission. I expect the reservation system to be around for some time.
Know before you go regarding tickets & reservations:
- New tickets can be purchased now
- Expiration dates have been extended for many ticket types
- Park hopping is permitted beginning at 1 pm each day with a valid ticket
Will Disneyland still limit capacity?
Yes, Disneyland always operates within a capacity limit. Capacity will continue to increase after June 15, 2021. See the numbers here.
During the initial reopening, theme park guests will park in Mickey & Friends, Pixar Pals or Toy Story parking lot.
Depending on when you visit, you may need to walk along the tram route to enter the parks. Those parking in Toy Story will ride a free shuttle over. Masks are required on Toy Story shuttle regardless of vaccination status.
Masks, Distancing & Vaccines
What will be expected of you when you arrive at Disneyland?
Starting July 30, 2021 face coverings be required for all guests indoors. Guests (ages 2 and up) who are not fully vaccinated must continue wearing face coverings indoors.
As a reminder guests will not be required to show proof of vaccination.
Please also be aware that other areas outside of Disneyland (such as the airport) also still require masking, so it’s smart to have a few handy.
Do I have to wear a mask at Disneyland?
July 30, 2021 indoors only, masks are required for all guests.
Know before you go regarding face coverings:
- remember to bring your own face coverings to the resort if you are not vaccinated
- all unvaccinated guests are expected to wear a face covering while indoors
- most masking requirements lift on June 15, 2021.
I can’t wait to have pictures with real smiles again!
When will mask restrictions be lifted?
June 15, 2021 in most cases. Read about for Disneyland’s official statement.
You will no longer need to have your temperature checked beginning June 15, 2021.
While this was a simple step in the process, it’s not something I’ll miss.
Disneyland Resort is partnering with Orange County to house the area’s first large scale point-of-dispensing site. Vaccinations will be given to those eligible who live or work in Orange County. The site closed for vaccinations April 30, 2021.
Do I need a vaccination to go to Disneyland?
Disneyland’s vaccination clinic onsite at the Toy Story parking has concluded.
Disney does not require vaccines as criteria for admission. In addition, Walt Disney World and other Disney theme parks around the world have reopened without that requirement. Disneyland will not require vaccinations either.
Social distancing ends at Disneyland on June 15th, 2021. The following information on social distancing is purely for historical purposes now. Because it’s in the past—hooray! Or not, because it was kinda nice not to be all clumped together right?
Two phrases we never thought we’d see in our lives have merged. We’ve been socially and physically distant for months, we understand that minimum spacing between our family and others outside of our household is important.
How will this even be possible at Disneyland Resort? We’ve seen it in place at Walt Disney World since July and Disney has done an amazing job and keeping people at a distance when on rides. Here’s all the Disneyland Resort rides that are completely outdoors to help take it a step further.
Know before you go regarding social distancing:
- temporary adjustments are in place to ensure an enjoyable environment for everyone
- see which rides are all outside, including queues for max air flow
- watch for directional signage and ground markings to promote physical distancing between parties
- barriers have been added in select places such as around cash registers or at Guest Relations where it is difficult to maintain strict physical distancing
- debit cards, credit cards and Disney Gift Cards are encouraged to reduce contact
- download the Disneyland App before arrival and add a form of payment as well
Should I take my kids to Disneyland when it reopens? It’s difficult for children to understand the new rules of social space. This is a very personal question and depends on lots of factors. My friend Julie and Mom Rewritten has covered this in great detail here.
What’s Open & Closed
When you’re spending a lot of money on a highly anticipated Disneyland vacation, you want to get the most for your dollar. Here’s what to expect during the Disneyland reopening.
Will all rides be open during my visit?
Not all attractions will be open, but here’s a list of all of Disneyland’s outdoor rides both the line and the ride itself.
Disneyland attractions undergo regular maintenance and refurbishment throughout the year. Some attractions may not be available, but you can see what’s closed during your visit here.
Can I use FASTPASS or Disney MaxPass during my trip?
FASTPASS and Disney MaxPass has been suspended until further notice. No word yet on refunds for pre-paid MaxPass purchases.
Will there be Magic Morning during my vacation?
Not initially. Disneyland’s website states, “Magic Morning and Extra Magic Hour offerings will be suspended upon reopening of our hotels and theme parks as we plan to manage capacity. We will share any updates on these offerings at a later date.”
Will there be fireworks during my visit?
Disneyland fireworks do not run every night, but will return on July 4, 2021. Please see our fireworks schedule for details on what’s playing during future visits.
Will there be parades during my visit?
Various Disneyland parades run seasonally, even before modifications were put in place. Please see our parade schedule for details on what’s running during your visit.
Will World of Color or Fantasmic run during my visit?
Both shows take various breaks throughout the year. We will update this section once we hear more regarding these nighttime favorites.
Will there be character meet and greets during my visit?
Character interactions will be modified during the initial reopening phases. You can still see your favorites like Mickey Mouse from a distance to wave and say hello. Use the Disneyland App to locate your favorites.
Know before you go regarding modified operations:
- certain restaurants, attractions, experiences and other offerings will be modified or unavailable
- we will update this list as various experiences and attractions are confirmed to be on the closure list
There are still many unanswered questions. My promise to you is no rumors. I report only official Disney sources so you can be confident in the information you read here.
Do you have specific questions on Disneyland’s reopening? Please add your comments to help me better refine this article as reopening details are released.