Celebrate Pride Month every June at Disneyland Resort, plus for the first time in 2023 an all new Pride Nite joins the line up of After Dark events. Keep reading for ways to celebrate with popular attractions, Rainbow Mickey merchandise and more!
Quick Pride Facts:
- Did you know Pride Month began after the Stonewall riots, a series of gay liberation protests in 1969? Since that time pride celebrations have spread throughout the country and it first become official in a 1999 proclamation from former President Bill Clinton.
- Read the fascinating history of Gay Days at Disney Parks here.
- I also love this video of Disney Cast Members sharing their personal experiences in partnership with the Trevor Project. The reference to Dodger fans is one of my favorites!
- Did you know that Disney was named a Leader in Inclusion by the Trevor Project? Read more here.
Gilbert Baker designed the rainbow flag for the 1978 San Francisco’s Gay Freedom Celebration. In the original eight-color version, pink stood for sexuality, red for life, orange for healing, yellow for the sun, green for nature, turquoise for art, indigo for harmony and violet for the soul.Read about the history of Gay Days at Disney Parks here.
While Disney steadily increased their rainbow merchandise and offerings in the parks, 2023 marks a very big turn with the official Pride Nite event. It’s all in a wider effort of inclusion that spans years of growth behind the scenes and in the public eye.
Disneyland Resort Pride Month Events
In June “we celebrate Pride month to publicly include all members of our families and communities who in the past had to hide who they were.” And there’s no better place to be yourself than during Pride month at Disneyland Resort.
What is Disney Pride Month?
Disney Pride Month is held in June each year. Disneyland recognizes and celebrates the LGBTQIA+ community during June and throughout the year from charitable donations to the Pride Collection to special food, photo opportunities and more.
When is Pride Month at Disneyland?
Disneyland invites the general public to join in celebrating Pride Month each June. The amusement parks are open for regular park hours and anyone with a valid theme park admission and reservation can attend. If you don’t have a ticket, there are also to celebrate and shop the Disney Pride Collection sales at Downtown Disney.
Where are Disneyland’s Pride Month Events?
There are so many ways to enjoy entertainment, food, shopping and more during Pride Month at throughout the Disneyland Resort. Here are a few of the highlights:
- Pride month Magic Shots available through the PhotoPass Service
- Disneyland After Dark Pride Nite, private party and separately ticketed event
- Pride and rainbow decor at select locations throughout the resort
- Pride Month foodie guide
What begin with hundreds of red shirts and unofficial Gay Days events, Pride Month is certainly taking shape in June and throughout the year at Disneyland.
How much does Disney’s Pride Celebration cost?
Once you get your discount Disneyland Resort tickets, any food and drinks are an additional cost (find exact prices on the Disneyland app). The rides, the atmosphere and celebration is all included in your admission.
Disneyland Pride Month Food
Throughout June, find special pride month menu items around Disneyland Resort, including some Downtown Disney locations.
Last year some of our favorite foodie finds included:
- Pride Cookie: Mickey-shaped shortbread cookie dipped in white chocolate
- Pride Cake: Rainbow sponge cake filled with white chocolate mousse, buttercream icing, and rainbow sprinkles
- Celebration Sundae made with Ghirardelli’s signature handmade hot fudge and served in a delicious rainbow waffle bowl
Be sure to mobile order your Pride Month foodie picks—you can even mobile order select novelty items like tumblers and sippers at select locations.
Pride Month at Downtown Disney
Come celebrate at Downtown Disney District with shopping, live music and special offerings.
Lovepop is an adorable card shop that’s more than just regular greeting cards. Stop by to shop and see their Pride collection. Plus with every Pride Month item purchased, Lovepop will donate a portion of proceeds of every purchase of this card to select organizations focused on the support of the LGBTQ+ youth community.
You’ll also find live music year-round at Downtown Disney. The Downtown Disney LIVE! stage hosts live bands nightly and I can’t wait to see who is on the schedule in June.
2023 is really just the beginning of Pride Month celebrations and I expect to see more offerings announced year after year. While it’s still a little basic and limited to food and merchandise, seeing the Pride Nite After Dark event is truly a new era in The Walt Disney Company.