The D23 Expo Schedule 2022 is packed full of many must do events and meet ups. It’s impossible to do everything, but because there’s such a wide variety of happenings, there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
Here we’ll outline the schedule, along with some suggested itineraries for those visiting D23 Expo in 2022.
D23 Expo 2022 Schedule Quick Tips
I haven’t been to every expo, but I’ve learned so much at the ones I have attended. Even then, there’s lots to learn and things change every year but I do have a few quick tips to get you started.
The most important things to remember when creating your schedule:
- be flexible
- have backups
- try something new
Having fun and enjoying the D23 Expo experience is the main goal. Being flexible allows you to embrace the moments, even when things don’t go as planned.
A backup and even a double backup is a good thing for each day. I bet you won’t have any problem choosing backups because there is simply so much to do on any D23 Expo day.
I’ve gone to a handful of events that normally wouldn’t interest me. Sometimes they’re my backup or sometimes a friend I want to hang out with at the Expo has that on their list. I’ve even attended secret panels where the subject wasn’t revealed until the last minute. I have enjoyed every one of them!
D23 Expo 2022 Live Stream!
2022 is the first year those at home can view the D23 Expo via live stream. I am so excited for you to see what the hype is all about.
Every day, D23 is bringing eight hours of non-stop entertainment, first looks, panels and more.
Where to watch: Disney fans can watch D23 Expo [LIVE] at D23Expo.com/live, D23.com, and on all D23 social platforms including YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and Twitch. It’s going to be incredible!
Friday, September 9
10:30 a.m. – Disney Legends Awards Ceremony
- Disney100 kicks off at D23 Expo with an epic presentation that includes the Disney Legends Awards Ceremony, featuring Disney CEO Bob Chapek. The event will once again honor those visionaries and artists who have made significant contributions to the Disney legacy. This year’s honorees include Anthony Anderson, Kristen Bell, Chadwick Boseman, Patrick Dempsey, Jonathan Groff, Josh Gad, Idina Menzel, Ellen Pompeo, Tracee Ellis Ross, and more.
1 p.m. – Disney & Marvel GAMES SHOWCASE
- Tune in to the Disney & Marvel GAMES SHOWCASE for announcements, trailers, and reveals for new and upcoming games from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm, and 20th Century Studios.
2:30 p.m. – Disney For Scores Podcast Live Celebrates Marvel Music
- Celebrate the powerful music of Marvel storytelling when Variety’s Jon Burlingame hosts Disney For ScoresPodcast Live. Jon will bring the format of the popular Disney For Scores Podcast to life as he interviews composers of some of your favorite Marvel series and films. Listen in as they fill us in on the secrets of creating the amazing music that helps build the Marvel Universe!
4 p.m. – Disney Legends in Conversation
- Listen in as members from the newest class of Disney Legends partake in an enlightening conversation about their storied careers.
6 p.m. – D23 Expo Mousequerade 2022
- The Ultimate Disney Costume Contest returns to D23 Expo! Join host Nina West and guest judges Yvette Nicole Brown, Ashley Eckstein, and Ally Maki as we showcase the most magical makes and quintessential creations of the Disney cosplay fan universe. And new this year, fans watching the show at D23 Expo and at home will be able to cast their vote for “Fan Favorite” and see who will be named the winner!
Saturday, September 10
10:30 a.m. – Talkin’ Pets with the Vets of National Geographic
- Join National Geographic’s vet sensations Dr. Jan Pol and his wife Diane (The Incredible Dr. Pol); Dr. Vernard Hodges (Critter Fixers: Country Vets); Dr. Geoff Pye, Dr. Jen Flower, and animal keeper Rain Westgard (Magic of Disney’s Animal Kingdom); and Alfonso Ribeiro (America’s Funniest Home Videos: Animal Edition) for a heartwarming look behind the scenes of their popular series, moderated by Tamron Hall (Tamron Hall Show).
12 p.m. – Bob’s Burgers
- The Emmy® Award-winning animated series Bob’s Burgers joins D23 Expo hot off the critically acclaimed release of The Bob’s Burgers Movie! The cast and creators will break news and have you howling with laughter during a lively panel discussion.
2 p.m. – MARVEL COMICS: Celebrating 60 Years of the Amazing Spider-Man
- Celebrate 60 spectacular, sensational, web-slinging years of Spider-Man! From his humble debut in 1962’s Amazing Fantasy #15, he wall-crawled his way to international super-stardom. Now, join Executive Spider-Editor Nick Lowe and Editor in Chief C.B. Cebulski as they team up to trace the comics history of the web-head across six decades—and BEYOND! Tantalizing trivia about the webbed wonder will be shared in this can’t-miss panel, so be sure to swing by!
3:30 p.m. – Disney’s Epic Entertainment Showcase: The Musical: The Extravaganza!
- Join Disney Branded Television for an exclusive showcase that highlights a legacy of excellence in storytelling and includes talent appearances, performances, and never-before-seen previews of original content for Disney+, Disney Channel, and Disney Junior.
6 p.m. – D23 Disney Stars Trivia Showdown
- Join the iconic Nina West (RuPaul’s Drag Race, Hairspray on Tour, D23 Mousequerade 2022) as she hosts hopeful celebrity contestants and audience members through a kaleidoscopic world of larger-than-life Disney Games, including Disney Trivia, physical challenges, and so much more!
6:30 p.m. – The Making of Disney100: The Exhibition
- Producers from Walt Disney Archives, Semmel Exhibitions, and Studio TK reveal illuminating details about the all-new exhibition celebrating 100 Years of Disney Wonder, scheduled to premiere at The Franklin Institute in Philadelphia in February 2023.
Sunday, September 11
10:30 a.m. – A Boundless Future: Disney Parks, Experiences and Products
- Join Disney Parks, Experiences and Products Chairman Josh D’Amaro for a look at Disney’s boundless future. With announcements and updates on the magic happening around the world in parks, on the high seas, at home, and beyond, attendees will get a behind-the-scenes look at the big dreams of Disney Imagineers. Every Disney fan will want to be a part of this special presentation full of exciting news and surprises.
1 p.m. – Walt Disney Imagineering: 70 Years of Making the Impossible, Possible
- For 70 years, Walt Disney Imagineering has blended imagination with cutting-edge technology to create groundbreaking experiences. Join Imagineers past and present as they discuss the core elements of storytelling and innovation that bring dreams to life for guests from all around the world.
3:45 p.m. – Explore the World with the Next Generation of National Geographic!
- Meet the exciting next generation of National Geographic stars—Kristen Kish (Restaurants at the End of the World), Bertie Gregory (Epic Adventures with Bertie Gregory), Mariana van Zeller (Trafficked with Mariana van Zeller), Jeff Jenkins (travel blogger), and Dwayne Fields (7 Toughest Days)—who are taking viewers to the most remote locations on Earth in pursuit of breathtaking landscapes, extraordinary wildlife, exotic foods, epic challenges, and undercover storytelling.
5 p.m. – D23 Disney Stars Trivia Showdown
- Join the iconic Nina West (RuPaul’s Drag Race, Hairspray on Tour, D23 Mousequerade 2022) as she hosts hopeful celebrity contestants and audience members through a kaleidoscopic world of larger-than-life Disney Games!
D23 Expo 2022 Disney Archives
Disney Archives is one of the main attractions for visitors to D23 Expo. It’s on display all weekend and the highlight of many people’s expo experience.
I have loved exploring the archives at the expo and various exhibits Disney Archives presents throughout the years at various locations. If you ever get a chance to see one, do it!
But of course during the expo, make time for this display as well as at least ONE archives presentation during the weekend.
- Walt Disney Archives presents Step in Time: A 12,000-square-foot fully immersive exhibit celebrating 100 years of The Walt Disney Company, placing fans inside the magic of Disney from the premiere of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Walt Disney World’s Haunted Mansion to Mary Poppins and Tron.
My husband is a huge Tron fan, maybe this will convince him to join me at the expo?
And I am kinda freaking out over seeing a photo of this! I can’t wait to see it in person from one of my favorite Disney films, Mary Poppins.
- Walt Disney Archives Stage: The popular presentation venue is returning with more than a dozen panels throughout the weekend featuring Archivists, Imagineers, Disney Legends, and more.
- Walt’s Plane: Accompanying the return of Walt Disney’s Grumman Gulfstream I airplane will be an exhibit featuring items from this piece of Disney history
- Disney100: The Exhibition: A special panel at the Expo revealing more details about the massive exhibit that debuts in early 2023 in Philadelphia
D23 Expo Shopping
The updates for D23 Expo September 2022 keep coming! This year gives you even more chance to spend that money! Expect to see:
- Multiple Shopping Venues. D23 Expo Marketplace will be full of exclusive and limited-edition merchandise, including the first items celebrating Disney100. Mickey’s of Glendale has three unique spaces: general Imagineering clothing and collectibles, exclusive pins, and official D23 Expo merchandise. And Disney Publishing will be offering first-to-market books in their pavilion.
- Shopping Highlights. In addition to the first Disney100 collectibles, the new World of Wakanda merchandise will debut at D23 Expo, as well as Guided by the Light, a collection from Ashley Eckstein inspired by Ahsoko Tano’s strength amid darkness. And look for the so-cute-you-could-eat-them Disney Munchlings adorable scented plush.
Virtual Queues for Shopping at D23
D23 has taken note from Disney Parks and is implementing a virtual queue system for shopping. Attendees will be able to sign up for an available boarding group in a virtual queue for D23 Expo Marketplace, Mickey’s of Glendale Main Store, or Mickey’s of Glendale Pin Store using the Disneyland Resort app and scanning a QR code at each store’s entrance.
You can join for up to two people and may only join one virtual queue at a time. Your confirmation screen will display an estimated wait time so you can enjoy other D23 Expo experiences until your group is ready.
Another hint for shopping at D23 Expo: Use mobile checkout at select locations. It’s so easy, I use it all the time at Disneyland Resort. In fact, you’ll use the Disneyland App to scan your own products, pay and then show a Cast Member at the designated exit that you’re all set to go! Skipping line and saving time is a win.
Mobile check out is available at:
- D23 Expo Marketplace
- D23 Expo Marketplace – 3rd Floor Limited Edition Annex
- Mickey’s of Glendale Main Store
- D23 Expo Shop x Mickey’s of Glendale
D23 Expo Marketplace
I love the D23 Expo Marketplace concept. It’s a 27,000-square-foot shopping experience on the D23 Expo show floor, which means you’ll likely stroll by it a time or two.
Inside you’ll find limited-edition merchandise to the first items celebrating Disney’s 100th Anniversary. You’ll also find the best items from shopDisney, Disney Store, and Disney Parks in one convenient location.
Mickey’s of Glendale
The Walt Disney Imagineering exclusive Mickey’s of Glendale shop is returning to D23 Expo this year. This one is always much hyped, with a line that goes with it!
But in 2022 we’ll see three unique Mickey’s of Glendale retail spaces tailored to different categories and experiences.
- Mickey’s of Glendale Main Store will feature merchandise designed by Imagineers, including hats, T-shirts, accessories and more. This location will also exclusively feature collections celebrating Walt Disney Imagineering’s upcoming 70th Anniversary, making it a must-see for Imagineering aficionados and Parks fans!
- Mickey’s of Glendale Pin Store is your place to find an assortment of limited-edition pins to add to your collection.
- D23 Expo Shop x Mickey’s of Glendale features official merchandise for D23 Expo 2022.
This is a perfect way to allow more access to shopping by breaking it up to different specialities. Which one is calling your name?
Disney Publishing is one of my favorite areas to explore. It’s like our own cozy little bookshop for Disney fans. You’ll snag first-to-market books and get a chance to meet a variety of beloved authors who will be hosting signings at this location.
Appearances include Disney historian and author of 100 Disney Adventures of a Lifetime, Marcy Carriker Smothers, DisneyBound’s Leslie Kay, Shinji Takahashi and Mark of the Coatl’sJulie Kagawa, and Cautionary Tales’ Ridley Pearson.
D23 Expo 2022 Show Floor
Want a Disney day full of fun with no set schedule? The “Show Floor” is exactly where you want to spend your time. Families and guests who just want that touch of Disney, D23 Show Floor has the full experience without early arrival times or stressful queuing experiences.
Interactive and photo experiences with some of your favorites:
- Abbott Elementary- Step into a day in the life of a substitute teacher at “Abbott Elementary” and see how you would respond in some iconic scenes!
- American Born Chinese- Learn how to master the staff alongside the mythical Chinese heroes featured in Disney Branded Television’s “American Born Chinese.”
- American Horror Story- Be the star of your own nightmare while celebrating 11 award-winning seasons of FX’s “American Horror Story.”
- Cruel Summer- Enter this experience to take a turn on “Dance Dance Revolution” to your favorite throwback hits, pose in the Y2K-era bedroom and get a glimpse at the lake life in a cool airstream photo op from the upcoming season of “Cruel Summer.”
- Epic Adventures with Bertie Gregory- Push your own limits by becoming an explorer at some of the most stunning environmental settings around the world with National Geographic.
- Fire of Love
- Good Morning America- Begin the journey seeing your name in lights on the famed ABC News’ “Good Morning America” marquee — a must-have photo op.
- Grey’s Anatomy- Do as the world-class staff of Grey Sloan Memorial do when they need a boost: strike a superhero pose or dance it out!
- The Kardashians- Think you have what it takes to be a Kardashian? Give it your best strut.
- Legacy: The True Story of the LA Lakers- Fulfill your Laker’s legacy with your very own attempt at the skyhook inspired by Lakers legends.
- Limitless with Chris Hemsworth
- Live with Kelly and Ryan- take center stage for a photo and video moment where they will feel like they’re part of the show at these fun photo booth opportunities — located in Hall B.
- Marvel Studios Pavilion on the show floor to experience an awesome costume display, exclusive giveaways, a photo activation, and other surprises.
- National Treasure: Edge of History-Gear up for an archeological adventure by searching for clues in the secret tunnel of the pyramid with Disney Branded Television’s “National Treasure: Edge of History.”
- Only Murders in the Building- Become a resident of the famed Arconia with your very own Mabel Mora-style portrait with Hulu Originals’ “Only Murders in the Building.”
- Tamron Hall- on the show floor and see Tamron Hall in-person moderating various panels across D23 Expo.
- ZOMBIES 3
D23 Expo 2022 Schedule Friday
One of my favorite events kicks off the entire expo Friday morning, Disney Legends! And this year it’s even more special because D23 Expo ties into 100 years of the WALT DISNEY Company.
Disney says, “Disney100 kicks off at D23 Expo on Friday, September 9, at 10:30 a.m. with an epic presentation that includes the Disney Legends Awards Ceremony, featuring Disney CEO Bob Chapek. The Disney Legends Ceremony will once again honor those visionaries and artists who have made significant contributions to the Disney legacy. Look for the names of the 2022 inductees to be announced in the coming weeks.”
Here is the full event schedule for Friday in 2022 which has now been released by D23. I’ve also highlighted my top picks for Friday in blue text.
- D23 Expo Show various times throughout the weekend with trivia, special guests and more. This is a fantastic filler item, stop by the show flow and see what’s happening during any of your down times. Show floor events are open to come and go, no commitment needed.
- 10:00 a.m. Sounds Delightful! – An Illustrated Audio Adventure. Join Disney artist and historian Stacia Martin for an all-new edition of “Sounds Delightful!,” an illustrated audio adventure across decades of vintage vinyl recordings from yesterday’s turntables, including rare promotional and production tracks.
- 10:15 a.m. Cesar Millan: Better Human, Better Dog. Pet owners across America need help, and Cesar Millan is ready to show them the way. His positivity in troubled times and his heartwarming transformations make us feel like we can overcome all obstacles, starting with our own four-legged pals!
- 10:30 a.m. Disney Legends Awards hosted by Disney CEO Bob Chapek, honoring “visionaries and artists who have made significant contributions to the Disney legacy.”
- 10:30 a.m. Inside Look at the Society of Explorers and Adventurers what it means in the Disney parks and how these stories continue to grow. Disney Imagineers are joined by Julie Kagawa to talk about her first two books in a series of novels that tie into the lore of S.E.A.
- 10:45 a.m. The Simpsons. Join us for a fun chat with the cast and creatives of this iconic show.
- 11:45 a.m. Walt Disney Animation Research Library presents “traceback,” a look at the lives and work as well as the artistic and technical contributions of women and employees of color throughout the history of Walt Disney Animation Studios.
- 12:00 p.m. Who is Honored with a Window on Main Street, USA? Observers notice details throughout the Disney theme parks, such as names styled on building windows. Discover the people behind the names through a talk with the team that researched the upcoming Disney Editions book People Behind the Disney Parks.
- 12:30 p.m. ABC’s Home Economics. The stars discuss the making of the family comedy and share an exclusive look at the upcoming season three premiere, filmed at Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, CA.
- 1:45 p.m. National Geographic’s Superhero Women of STEM. Meet three extraordinary women who are changing the face of exploration, education, and storytelling. Find out what it takes to study large bears up close; learn about the science of Avatar; and get ready to win first place at the Science Fair!
- 2:00 p.m. A Very ’90s Afternoon Special with the “All-New” Mickey Mouse Club. Join cast as they share favorite memories about the third incarnation of the series (1989–1994), and discover how MMC pushed boundaries by highlighting topics that had rarely been covered on children’s television.
- 2:00 p.m. Marvel DRAW Live!D23 Expo Live! Stage join Brian Crosby, Marvel’s Director of Themed Entertainment, for a real-time, step-by-step tutorial session on how to draw some of Marvel’s most iconic heroes and villains!
- 2:30 p.m. Disney For Scores Podcast Live Celebrates Marvel Music. Celebrate the powerful music of Marvel storytelling when Variety’s Jon Burlingame hosts Disney For Scores Podcast live. Jon will bring the format of the popular Disney For ScoresPodcast to life as he interviews composers of some of your favorite Marvel series and films. Listen in as they fill us in on the secrets of creating the amazing music that helps build the Marvel Universe!
- 3:30 p.m., Looking Ahead With the Walt Disney Studios. Guests will be treated to new details, first looks, sneak peeks, surprises, and announcements regarding upcoming theatrical and Disney+ titles from Disney Live Action, Pixar Animation Studios, and Walt Disney Animation Studios. Studio heads, filmmakers, and cast members will come together onstage with the inside scoop on some of these studios’ most exciting titles.
- 3:45 p.m. Behind the Scenes Beauty and the Beast: A 30th Celebration. ABC previews the upcoming special Beauty and the Beast: A 30th Celebration.
- 4:00 p.m. Disney Legends in Conversation. Listen in as members from the newest class of Disney Legends partake in an enlightening conversation about their storied careers.
- 4:30 p.m. The Cast and Creative Team of Disney Channel’s Hamster & Gretel. Join the cast and creative team as they share a behind-the-scenes look at what went into making the music-filled animated series and reveal exclusive content from the show.
- 5:45 p.m. National Geographic Special Screening: Epic Adventures with Bertie Gregory. The face of a new generation of aspirational adventurers and natural history filmmakers, 29-year-old Bertie Gregory takes viewers on an epic and nail-biting journey that pushes into the most spectacular and secretive corners of our wild world.
- 6:00 p.m. D23 Expo Mousequerade. The Ultimate Disney Costume Contest returns to D23 Expo! Join host Nina West and guest judges Yvette Nicole Brown, Ashley Eckstein, and Ally Maki as we showcase the most magical makes and quintessential creations of the Disney cosplay fan universe!
- 6:00 p.m. Walt’s Plane: Taking Flight Through Disney History. As Walt Disney’s company plane makes its historic return at D23 Expo, discover the fascinating story of the Grumman Gulfstream I aircraft, fondly remembered as “The Mouse.”
- 6:30 p.m. Here for the Laughs. Stars of your favorite TV and streaming series come together to discuss their careers, and what it takes to make a comedy hit.
D23 Expo 2022 Schedule Saturday
Here is the full event schedule for 2022 which has been shared by Disney!
- 10:00 a.m. Filmmakers, celebrity talent, and surprise guests will join representatives from Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm, among others, onstage in Hall D23 to showcase theatrical and Disney+ titles. Going behind the scenes of these studios’ highly anticipated films, specials, and series, attendees will see exclusive footage and be among the first to learn what else is in the works.
- 10:00 a.m. A Peek Behind the Curtain at the Walt Disney Imagineering Illusions and Special Effects Development Lab. Learn about the legacy of Walt Disney Imagineering’s Illusions and Special Effects Development Lab, including the work created by Yale Gracey for the Haunted Mansion and other early projects, plus a behind-the-curtain look at the present-day magical process that is so unique to Imagineering.
- 10:00 a.m. Marvel Studios join Lucasfilm and others onstage in Hall D23 to showcase theatrical and Disney+ titles. Going behind the scenes of these studios’ highly anticipated films, specials, and series, attendees will see exclusive footage and be among the first to learn what’s in the works.
- 10:00 a.m. The Making of Disney100: The Exhibition. Producers from the Walt Disney Archives, Semmel Exhibitions and Studio TK reveal illuminating details about the all-new exhibition celebrating 100 Years of Disney Wonder, scheduled to premiere at The Franklin Institute in Philadelphia in February 2023.
- 10:15 a.m. Women in Disney Fashion. Moderated by DisneyBound founder, Leslie Kay, four of Disney’s major fashion icons will discuss their collaborations, the inspiration behind their unique collections, and what it’s like to work in the fashion industry.
- 10:30 a.m. Talkin’ Pets with the Vets of National Geographic. Join National Geographic’s vet sensations Dr. Pol and wife Diane, Critter Fixer Dr. Vernard Hodges and Dr. Geoff, Dr. Jen and animal keeper Rain from Magic of Disney’s Animal Kingdom for a heartwarming look behind the scenes of their popular series.
- 11:45 p.m. Marvel’s Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur. Join the Marvel’s Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaurcast and creative team as they share an exclusive sneak peek of the highly anticipated series before its debut on Disney Channel and Disney+.
- 12:00 p.m. Bob’s Burgers. The Emmy Award-winning animated series Bob’s Burgers joins D23 hot off the critically-acclaimed release of The Bob’s Burgers Movie! The cast and creators will break news and have you howling with laughter during a lively panel discussion.
- 12:00 p.m. Uncovering Treasures from the Marty Sklar Collection
Join Walt Disney Imagineering Ambassador Bob Weis and Leah and Leslie Sklar, the wife and daughter of the late Disney Legend and Imagineer Marty Sklar, as they discuss some of the treasures they’ve discovered while going through Marty’s collection from his more than 50 years with Walt Disney Imagineering.
- 1:00 p.m. Magic in the Air: 30 Years of The Muppets Christmas Carol. Yuletide comes early this year as we celebrate 30 years of the ultimate Holiday classic The Muppet Christmas Carol with filmmakers, The Muppets, and a few surprises!
- 1:45 p.m. It’s a Small Disney World: Celebrating the Art of Disney Parks. Moderated by Tyler Slater, Public Relations Manager, this panel gathers Disney Parks artists and authors who created artwork for our global parks, including items which will be for sale at the D23 Expo Marketplace.
- 2:00 p.m. 100 years of Disney Animation storytelling by highlighting the stories and people behind key art and artifacts in its collection.
- 2:00 p.m. 60 Years of the Amazing Spider-Man. Celebrate sixty spectacular, sensational, web-slinging years of Spider-Man! From his humble debut in 1962’s Amazing Fantasy #15, he wall-crawled his way to international super-stardom.
- 3:30 p.m., Disney Branded Television, home to some of the most iconic stories and characters in the Disney canon—including Peabody Award winners Doc McStuffins and The Owl House, plus the culture-defining movie franchises High School Musical and Descendants—will present an exclusive showcase of upcoming content that will continue the legacy of excellence in storytelling. The showcase will feature talent appearances and never-before-seen sneak previews of original content for Disney+, Disney Channel, and Disney Junior, including looks at the new Disney+ Original series National Treasure, American Born Chinese, and The Santa Claus.
- 3:30 p.m. Join the team behind Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Academy Award®-winning hit Encanto for stories behind the making of the film—and a few surprises!
- 3:45 p.m. On The Red Carpet’s Storytellers Spotlight is an intimate conversation series that amplifies the work of historically underrepresented, diverse storytellers and their allies across the Walt Disney Company in film, television, theater, music, and podcasts.
- 4:00 p.m. Dreaming, Designing and Bringing to Life the Disney Wish
Disney Imagineers fresh off the launch of the newest ship in the Disney Cruise Line fleet — the Disney Wish — talk about their experiences bringing this ship to life. From the wondrously themed spaces and imaginative kids clubs to the first-ever Disney attraction at sea, the ship brings to life fantastical stories you know and love like never before.
- 4:00 p.m. Cautionary Tales with Disney Villains. Celebrate the writing of author Ridley Pearson and his new book, Cautionary Tales, a collection of scary tales based on Disney films. Get inside scoop on how Ridley and the Walt Disney Archives created a unique and creative continuing partnership.
- 5:45 p.m. Though he unfortunately won’t be at D23 Expo, get an exclusive first look at Chris Hemsworth’s new Disney+ series Limitless! He puts his body and mind through transformative experiences, sharing tips that can help you too have a healthier life, body, and mind.
- 6:00 p.m. The Santa Clauses. Join The Santa Clauses cast and creatives for a lively chat.
- 6:00 p.m.Building Walt’s Florida Project: Walt Disney World from Dream to Reality. Using rarely seen photography, the Walt Disney Archives and special guests present a “true-life” look at the extraordinary construction and opening of the Walt Disney World Resort.
- Get a first look at the highly anticipated animated series Zootopia+, coming to Disney+ from Walt Disney Animation Studios, with directors Josie Trinidad and Trent Correy.
- 6:00 p.m. Using rarely seen photography, the Walt Disney Archives and special guests present a “true-life” look at the extraordinary construction and opening of the Walt Disney World Resort.
- D23 Member exclusive Oogie Boogie Bash night $179, learn more about adding Oogie Boogie Bash to your D23 experience here.
D23 Expo 2022 Schedule Sunday
The sleepy Sundays are a thing of the past. This is the second time a major panel will be hosted on Sunday, as the popular parks and resorts panel wraps things up Sunday morning.
Here is the full event schedule for 2022 which we’ll add to once more information is released:
- 10:00 a.m. Disney Original Documentary’s Sneak Peek of Mickey: The Story of a Mouse. Disney Original Documentary presents a panel dedicated to Mickey: The Story of a Mouse, which celebrates one of the world’s most beloved icons, Mickey Mouse. Hosted by Bret Iwan, the official voice of Mickey himself, the panel will include filmmakers and select film participants. Attendees will get a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the film as well, as an exclusive sneak peek.
- 10:00 a.m. Nat Geo & Disney: 100 Years of Exploring the World Through Storytelling.
- 10:15 a.m. Revisiting Yesterday’s Tomorrow: Disney’s Magical Mid-Century. Join legendary producer Don Hahn for a look back at Disney projects from the 1950s and 1960s as he shares an illustrated journey through the era with rarely seen art and photography reflecting the unique style that Walt Disney and his artists pioneered.
- 10:30 a.m., join Disney Parks, Experiences and Products Chairman Josh D’Amaro for a look at Disney’s boundless future. With announcements and updates on the magic happening around the world in parks, on the high seas, at home, and beyond, attendees will get a behind-the-scenes look at the big dreams of Disney Imagineers. Every Disney fan will want to be a part of this special presentation full of exciting news and surprises.
- 10:30 a.m. The cast and creative team of the Disney+ animated series The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder gather to discuss the acclaimed revival of the groundbreaking series The Proud Family and share an inside look at the upcoming season
- 12:00 p.m. An Animated Conversation: Celebrating 90 Years of Goofy. Disney Legend Bill Farmer, animator Eric Goldberg, and producer Dorothy McKim as they celebrate one of Walt Disney’s most memorable creations—Goofy!
- 12:00 p.m. Back to the Grid: 40 Years of TRON Presented by Enterprise. Lightcycles, recognizers, and solar sails, oh my! Join us for a look back at TRON, featuring, artwork, footage, and photographs of the digital frontier. Hear behind-the-scenes stories of how the film came to life with talent, artists, and filmmakers, and the continuous impact of this groundbreaking film.
- 12:15 p.m. Books on 100 Disney Adventures of a Lifetime. Join Disney historian, notable personality, and book author Marcy Carriker Smothers for a conversation about her beautifully illustrated treasury by National Geographic Books. Discover 100 beloved or little-known Disney adventures—all full of wonder.
- 1:00 p.m. Walt Disney Imagineering: 70 Years of Making the Impossible, Possible
For seven decades, the magic-makers at Walt Disney Imagineering have blended limitless imagination with cutting-edge technology to create groundbreaking experiences that bring together families and friends to create lifelong memories. Join Imagineers past and present as they discuss the core elements of storytelling and innovation that bring dreams to life for guests from all around the world.
- 2:00 p.m.The Main Street Electrical Parade — 50 Years of Nighttime Magic & Imagination. See and hear how the iconic Main Street Electrical Parade was born and has evolved over its 50-year history with a panel of the creative talent behind it from 1972 to today. Experience it for yourself via never-before-seen film from its opening and early years.
- 2:00 p.m. 100 Years of Treasures from the Walt Disney Animation Research Library. Never-before-seen clips, recording sessions, and live-action references mark 100 years of Walt Disney Animation Studios as the ARL unveils newly digitized media from their collection and from their Oral History Project.
- 2:15 p.m. 100 Years of Hollywood Magic. The UCLA Film & Television Archive presents rare footage of the Hollywood that shaped the Disney brothers and sparked their imagination.
- 3:45 p.m. Meet the exciting next generation of National Geographic stars who are taking viewers to the most remote locations on Earth in pursuit of breathtaking landscapes, extraordinary wildlife, exotic foods, epic challenges, and undercover storytelling.
- 4:00 p.m. Disney Parks Through the Decades: A Disney Ambassador Perspective. Join us for a conversation with Disney Ambassadors spanning the decades, including 1966 Disney Ambassador, Connie Lane, and 1971 Walt Disney World Ambassador, Debby Dane Browne. From representing Walt Disney at Disneyland in the 1960s, to opening Walt Disney World: experience the history of Disney Parks like never before.
- 4:00 p.m. FX’s AHS: Behind the Screams. Join the legendary designers, artists, and stylists responsible for creating the iconic looks of your beloved AHS characters. Fans will get inside details on how it all comes together, where fashion and horror intersect, and how these creatives keep things fresh after 11 installments and an anthology spin-off. Panelists include producer and costume designer Lou Eyrich and producer and makeup artist Eryn Krueger Mekash.
- 4:15 p.m. The World of Duffy & Friends Revealed
Disney Imagineers discuss the origin and continuing popularity of Duffy & Friends, including the newest friend who has become a global phenomenon — LinaBell!
- 4:15 p.m., Disney Concerts will present a special performance of Disney Princess – The Concert, featuring Tony® nominee Susan Egan (Broadway’s original Belle in Beauty and the Beast, Meg in Disney’s animated feature Hercules), Broadway.com® Audience Award nominee Isabelle McCalla (Princess Jasmine in Aladdin, The Prom), Disney Channel star Anneliese van der Pol (That’s So Raven, Raven’s Home, Broadway’s final Belle in Beauty and the Beast), and Broadway World Award winner Syndee Winters (Broadway’s Nala in The Lion King, Hamilton). Music director Benjamin Rauhala (Fiddler on the Roof, The Secret Life of Bees) and Prince Adam J. Levy (Moulin Rouge) will also join the quartet. The acclaimed cast will perform favorite Disney Princess and Frozen songs, including classics such as “Part of Your World,” “Let It Go,” “A Whole New World,” “Colors of the Wind,” and “Almost There.” The performers will share exclusive, hilarious, and heartfelt behind-the-scenes stories from their time on the stage and screen.
- 6:00 p.m. Providing the perfect voice to characters has been a Disney signature since Walt first gave voice to Mickey. Join Rick Dempsey, SVP of Character Voices, and some very special guests, as we go “behind the mic” for stories and fun conversations with some Disney favorites.
- 6:00 p.m.Memories of Walt Disney World: Framing A Portrait of 50 Magical Years. Join the book team behind A Portrait of Walt Disney World: 50 Years of The Most Magical Place on Earth for a making-of panel discussion. The session will conclude with a special screening of The Magic of Walt Disney World documentary featurette.
- 6:00 p.m. Dancing with the Stars 31st Season Celebration. Stars of the hit competition series Dancing with the Stars come together to celebrate 31 seasons of memorable performances, award-winning choreography and, of course, Mirrorball trophies.
D23 Expo 2022 More Schedules
The following panels and presentations have been officially announced, but do not have a set day and time. Stay tuned to this article as updates are made frequently.
- Women in Disney Fashion: Step into the minds of major Disney fashion icons as they share an exclusive look at their upcoming Disney collaborations.
- It’s a Small Disney World: Celebrating the Art of Disney Parks: Ever wondered what it’s like to be an official Disney Parks artist? Disney will gather six artists to dive into their art, ideas for the future, and behind-the-scenes insights.
- Cautionary Tales with the Disney Villains: The Imagination of Ridley Pearson: Cautionary Tales authorRidley Pearson and Walt Disney Archives Director Becky Cline will delight fans and spark creativity with insider Disney stories.
- National Geographic’s 100 Disney Adventures of a Lifetime: From a dessert cruise with firework views to an exclusive dinner in Walt’s Disneyland apartment, discover one-of-a-kind magical Disney experiences in this memorable discussion with expert Marcy Carriker Smothers.
- Hey Disney! — a custom voice assistant built on Amazon’s Alexa technology — will be highlighted on the D23 Expo show floor (stay tuned for more details). Whether at home or in a Walt Disney World Resort or Disneyland Resort hotel room, fans will be able to use an Echo device to interact with their favorite Disney, Star Wars, or Pixar characters.
D23 Expo 2022 Itineraries
Working off of 2019, I’ll share what my schedule was like. Remember, everyone’s schedule will be different and do-able for them. You might not want the same experience I had and that’s okay!
As 2022 details are released, I will add suggested itineraries for specific goals and fandoms (think Star Wars, Disney classics, Disney Parks, etc.)
Thursday, Arrival Day
Lots of D23 Expo goers contemplate if they should arrive early to add Disneyland days, stay after the expo or just squeeze some Disneyland into the evenings. One thing’s for sure, you will be exhausted from Expo days, so consider that in your planning.
I’ve always opted to arrive prior to the expo beginning for my Disneyland days, but since I go so often I didn’t add a lot extra to 2019. Do whatever works for you.
On arrival day consider completing the following tasks:
- Secure D23 Expo credentials if you did not receive them previously
- Secure last minute Disneyland tickets if needed
- Shop for snacks or food to bring with you to the expo, they will be lifesavers!!
- Shop and dine at Downtown Disney or consider a character dining experience if you aren’t going inside the parks
- Check into your hotel and get things organized for your expo day
Arrival day is always filled with fun and excitement for the days ahead. Try to get a good night sleep to be ready for the next day.
Friday, Day One (Repeat for Saturday and Sunday)
We had reservations and Gold Member status for the Legends Ceremony. 2019 was the first year they offered reservations, but we still wanted to get the best seats we could.
4:00 am We arrived at 4:00 am to check in and by 4:14 am we were the second to the last line of Gold Members in section C (to the side of the stage) because gold lines for A and B were full. We were glad we arrived at that time, because even with a reservation we would have barely made the gold section.
Shopping lines at 4:00 am were double what they were for Legends. Shopping to get things first hasn’t ever been my thing at D23 Expo, but as you can tell people are very serious about getting their hands on limited release merchandise.
4:29 am the Gold queue was completely full for Legends ceremony. If you did not arrive by now, you won’t be let in to Hall E until 9 am and will. be queuing somewhere else. The key is to get into Hall E before that cut off time, which is announced closer to the expo dates.
6:00 am Cast Members instructed everyone to pack up any overnight things they brought. They’ll allow you to take your stuff to your car or nearby hotel room and return. They will give instructions for re-entry. Remember who you were sitting by! The lines will look different when you come back.
9:00 am People with reservations to Legends are let into Hall E. People waiting in security line with reservations are being pulled out to get inside quicker. I hope 2022, they find a better way to do this like a security line just for Legend attendees?
And yes, I took voice memos of what time we did everything so I could look back on it a year plus later and remember how crazy I was/am.
12:00 pm After this I was did less note taking and more enjoying. We left the Legends ceremony and went right back to Hall E to get our Gold queue for the Disney+ panel. Get to know your line neighbors, then send a runner to grab lunch.
We got lunch at the food trucks outside, be prepared to wait but you’ll have plenty of time to get back into Hall E. Just get your food and come back so you don’t lose your spot in line.
After this we explored the show floor for a bit and went to the parks that evening for dinner. We didn’t even ride anything we were so exhausted and had much of the same to plan for day two.
What worked on Friday was set to work again, except for more people would arrive earlier if they failed or succeeded the day before.
We repeated much the same as Friday but arrived a little bit earlier on Saturday for the Walt Disney Studio panel. We spend a lot of time in Hall E. It’s a unique experience and you really meet a lot of fun and interesting Disney fans.
I always bring snacks and water, along with money to buy breakfast and snacks inside Hall E when it is offered.
We did some show floor presentations, shopping, Disney archives and more on day 2 after many lines had calmed down. You’ll find even more time to do those on Sunday when many people leave the expo early.
Bottom line, the D23 Expo takes some strategic planning, but also lots of flexibility and understanding that you can have a blast doing whatever Disney magic comes your way, like running into Josh D’Amaro again and having a nice chat.
My main suggestion for your D23 schedule is to pick one big, must-do each day and set your goal on that and let other fun things fall into place. Want to talk more about the D23 Expo schedule? Let’s talk all things D23 Expo Schedule on social media @DisneylandPlan or email me [email protected].