We may earn money or other compensation from the companies or products mentioned in this post.
Get ready to celebrate the 4th of July at Disneyland and at home. Ideas for inside the parks and making a memorable celebration at home.
In 2019 we celebrated the 4th of July at Disneyland. It was also the day(s) there were earthquakes there. To say we made a few memories is an understatement! Here’s what our Disney 4th looked like in 2019:
- Checked into the Disneyland Hotel early AM for photos around the beautiful property
- Had breakfast at Goofy’s Kitchen
- Got settled in our poolside cabana for the day
- Enjoyed poolside Dole Whips and other amazing food
- Met with Disney Characters roaming the hotel, enjoyed a ton of 4th of July freebies like Mickey ice cream bars, freshly baked cookies, face paint, caricatures, candy and games
- Checked into our room while the kids and my husband still enjoyed swimming and watching TV in our cabana
- Changed and got ready for dinner at Jazz Kitchen in Downtown Disney
- Watched fireworks from the rooftop pool deck of Paradise Pier Hotel with live music and food
The fourth of July is one of the busiest days of the year at Disneyland Resort which is why we opted for a day by the pool instead. If you’re heading to Disneyland around the 4th be sure to grab your discount Disneyland tickets in advance from our ticket partners.
We know this year might not include the 4th of July at Disneyland itself. While the temporary closure is in place, I’ve created an entire line up of back up ideas!
Disneyland 4th of July Must Haves
I am a sucker for Americana merchandise. I just love sporting the red, white and blue during the 4th of July. Those colors evoke a sense of summer, freedom, warm weather, baseball and beaches—all the things I love.
Coordinating family shirts, light up Mickey necklaces and Disney American Minnie Mouse ears, I am all about it.
I am also picking up some red, white and blue sprinkles to jazz things up in the recipe section . . . so let’s move onto food!
Disneyland 4th of July Recipes
A good 4th of July Disney party at home needs the best food—Disney themed food of course! I pulled together a list of all-American Disney favorites for you to cook up on the 4th or any day you need some Disney.
Disney 4th of July Movies
Feeling all kinda of patriotic but need to relax a little? Grab a spot on the couch and indulge in these Disney Plus movies and shows. There’s plenty to do and see even when you’re not on Main Street or Buena Vista Street.
Disney Plus 4th of July Marvel Movies
- Captain America The First Avenger (PG-13) the first of the Captain America series details how Captain America came to be.
- Captain American The Winter Solider (PG-13) set in our nation’s capital of Washington, D.C., Captain America teams up with Black Widow for a powerful showdown.
- Captain America Civil War (PG-13) if you could do this all day, you’re gonna want to watch these three in order. Nothing more American than that.
Disney 4th of July Movies Americana Themes
- The Adventures of Huck Finn (PG) is the tale of Huck Finn who as a runaway along the Mississippi River and the friendship he makes along the way.
- Davy Crockett King of the Wild Frontier (PG) the American folk hero and also the namesake of the canoes the circle Rivers of America at Disneyland Park.
- Diary of a Future President (PG) future President of the United States diaries her journey in middle school including the highs and lows of life in 6th grade.
- The Finest Hours
- First Kid (PG) is the 90s throwback featuring a secret service agent tasked with following around the President’s rambunctious teenage son.
- National Treasure (PG) w’re talking about stealing the Declaration of Independence, with all kinds of American history intertwined into the film.
- National Treasure 2 Book of Secrets (PG) is the sequel that ups the game and this time they’re kidnapping the POTUS.
Which ones did I miss in this category or any others?
Disney 4th of July Sports Movies
- The Greatest Game Ever Played (PG) has a way of bringing a patriotic feel to the story of an amateur golfer who wins the U.S. open.
- Miracle (PG) highlights the unlikely gold medal victory of the US hockey team in the 1980 olympics including the story of Herb Brooks.
- Remember the Titans (PG) set in the 1970s an African American football coach works to create a winning
- The Rookie (G) what’s more American than baseball? This movie tells the story of a high school coach getting a second chance at the big leagues.
Disney 4th of July Documentaries
- America’s Heart & Soul (PG, but I’d say some elements are more PG-13) This documentary is a celebration of our nation through the voices of people all over the country. The middle of it sees some interesting characters but there are some really good heart felt stories here.
- American’s National Parks (TV14) explore “American’s best idea” and feel like you’re right there at some of the countries most beloved national parks. Want to visit them in real life? It’s a great way to travel this summer.
- Into the Grand Canyon (PG) watch as two colleagues explore the Grand Canyone by foot and see an inside look at places most never see.
Disneyland 4th of July Fireworks
Have you heard of Skyline Lounge in Tomorrowland? I did this VIP treatment in 2019 (although not for the 4th) and loved it. I can only imagine how magical and patriotic it is for 4th of July! This is especially good for groups who want to get away from the crowds down below.
The special 4th of July Skyline Lounge experience includes:
- Experience fireworks spectacular “Disney’s celebrate America!” which only runs at Disneyland on 4th of July (weather permitting)
- Includes boxed treats
- Choice of non alcoholic drinks like soda, hot cocoa and more.
- Light up the event souviner
- Sparkling cider with light up glow cube
Skyline Lounge opens at 7:00 pm and you can enjoy your semi-private space until 10:00 pm. This special event is priced at about $100 per person, ages 3 and up. Theme park admission is required.
Need a lower price or freebie option for fireworks? There’s plenty of other ways to enjoy Disneyland’s 4th of July fireworks all around the resort. I’ve listed the best spots for watching fireworks here.
How will you celebrate 4th of July this year with a little Disney flare?