We may earn money or other compensation from the companies or products mentioned in this post.
Disneyland Rider Switch tips to make the most of your Disneyland Resort vacation.
Disneyland Rider Switch is the key to enjoying Disneyland as a parent. Rider Switch is also known as child swap or baby swap, but the same idea is at play. Here’s the information you need to enjoy your day at Disneyland when you have a little one but don’t want to miss out on grown up fun.
Disneyland Rider Switch Basics
Disneyland Rider Switch has changed since the addition of Disney MaxPass, the new digital FASTPASS. Rider Switch allows parents and older/taller siblings to enjoy thrill rides, even with a little one who doesn’t meet the height requirement (or is a little nervous about the new experience).
What’s Disneyland Rider Switch?
Which rides offer Rider Switch at Disneyland?
Many thrill rides, and those with minimum height requirements offer Rider Switch including:
- Autopia- 32 inches or taller
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad- 40 inches or taller
- Gadget’s Go Coaster- 35 inches or taller
- Goofy’s Sky School (California Adventure)- 42 inches or taller
- Grizzly River Run- 42 inches or taller
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! (California Adventure)- 40 inches or taller
- Incredicoaster (California Adventure)- 48 inches or taller
- Indiana Jones Adventure- 46 inches or taller
- Jumpin Jellyfish (California Adventure)- 40 inches or taller
- Luigi’s Rollickin’ Roadsters (California Adventure)- 32 inches or taller
- Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run– 38 inches or taller
- Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree (California Adventure)- 32 inches or taller
- Matterhorn Bobsleds- 42 inches or taller
- Radiator Springs Racers (California Adventure)- 40 inches or taller
- Silly Symphony Swings (California Adventure)- 40 inches or taller
- Soarin’ Around the World (California Adventure)- 40 inches or taller
- Space Mountain- 40 inches or taller
- Splash Mountain- 40 inches or taller
- Star Tours – The Adventure Continues- 40 inches or taller
That’s right, Haunted Mansion is not on the list for Rider Switch because it does not have a minimum height requirement. However, many guests report Cast Members allowing a Rider Switch anyway. It’s worth a try to ask!
How does Disneyland Rider Switch Work?
- Everyone in your party (including the child not riding) approaches the Cast Member at the entrance to the queue.
- Your group will be divided into two parties: Party 1 waits in line and rides the attraction first. Party 2 supervises the non-rider and will switch roles after Party 1 is admitted to the FASTPASS line or through the attraction exit.
- Members of Party 2 will have their park tickets scanned to load Rider Switch onto their ticket. This has changed from the old paper method and rider switch is now loaded to your ticket. You can only hold 1 rider switch at a time, no saving them up for later.
- When Party 2 returns to the attraction, sometime within the hour, simply scan your ticket at the FASTPASS entrance and Rider Switch will allow you access to the FASTPASS queue.
Note: Party 2 can include up to 3 people, including people from Party 1. Yes, super confusing! But this allows an older sibling to ride once with Mom and once with Dad while one parent takes turn tending the younger child.
Can you use Disneyland Rider Switch with MaxPass?
- Everyone who wants to ride gets a FASTPASS and simply takes turns riding during their FASTPASS return time.
- Those in Party 1 get a FASTPASS and Party 2 uses the Rider Switch program.
- Read about combining Rider Switch & MaxPass here.
Can I use Disneyland Rider Switch without MaxPass?
Absolutely. You can use Rider Switch without MaxPass or FASTPASS. Party 1 will simply wait in the regular stand by line which is generally subject to longer wait times. However, Party 2 will not wait in the general queue and typically enters via FASTPASS entrance.
It’s important to remember that Rider Switch now has a time limit for returns. So if you do use Rider Switch without MaxPass or FASTPASS make sure the line is no longer than 40 minute wait, or ask the Cast Member to add adequate time to your return.
Get your Disneyland discount tickets from our partner, Get Away Today before heading over to Disneyland Resort. Plus, enjoy an extra $10 off when booking a hotel stay of two nights or more along with your discount Disneyland tickets! Use promo code Happiest10 at checkout.
What to Do While You Wait for Rider Switch
- When they ride Indiana Jones Adventure, you check out Tarzan’s Treehouse or take a stroll to get a Dole Whip near the Enchanted Tiki Room.
- When they ride Splash Mountain, you ride The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.
- When they ride Matterhorn Bobsleds, you visit with the Princesses or choose from one of many rides in Fantasyland.
- When they ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, you enjoy the views of Rivers of America or stroll through the shops nearby.
- When they ride Gadget’s Go Coaster, you can let your little ones explore Mickey’s Toontown including Goofy’s Playhouse and the Chip ‘n Dale Treehouse.
- When they ride Space Mountain, you go for a ride on Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters.
Print your perfect Disneyland Plan today with out new bundled option and see what to ride and when, even with little kids!
Disneyland expert who loves the beach, flip flops and pink nail polish.