We may earn money or other compensation from the companies or products mentioned in this post.
Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California closed as of the morning of March 14, 2020. Keep reading for continued coverage.
Disneyland CLOSED Quick Info
You’re likely in a panic. Here’s what you need to know now.
- Disneyland extended closure now closed until further notice. Not date given.
- I’ve covered what to do if you need to cancel your vacation here. Please visit this article for more information.
- Disneyland tickets have new, extended expiration dates. See the how long you can use your Disneyland ticket.
- Stay positive—I’m personally giving away $100 toward your next Disneyland vacation, whenever that may be. Enter for a chance to win here.
Even if you’re scheduled to visit Disneyland during the closure, I recommend postponing your trip and rescheduling. Here’s some quick facts for you:
- Unused tickets can indeed be used after the expiration date. Plus, expiration dates have been extended on some tickets. Read more here.
- If you have a partially used ticket or are an Annual Passholder, read this.
- Disneyland is in constant contact with health and government officials, they will reopen as soon as it’s safe to do so
- Many hotels, including my ticket partner Get Away Today are loosening their cancellation and change policies, please contact your original booking method. They are in touch with the most immediately effected customers as a first priority.
Disneyland California CLOSED Official Statement
Disneyland Resort released this statement:
While there have been no reported cases of CV at Disneyland Resort, after carefully reviewing the guidelines of the Governor of California’s executive order and in the best interest of our guests and employees, we are proceeding with the closure of Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park, beginning the morning of March 14 through the end of the month.
The Hotels of Disneyland Resort will remain open until Monday, March 16 to give guests the ability to make necessary travel arrangements; Downtown Disney will remain open (Update: Most of Downtown Disney has closed or is under modified hours). We will monitor the ongoing situation and follow the advice and guidance of federal and state officials and health agencies. Disney will continue to pay cast members during this time.
Disneyland Resort will work with guests who wish to change or cancel their visits, and will provide refunds to those who have hotel bookings during this closure period. We anticipate heavy call volume over the next several days and appreciate guests’ patience as we work hard to respond to all inquiries.
Please contact The Walt Disney Travel Company for questions and cancellations at (714) 520-5050. Find the entire statement here.
How many times has Disneyland closed?
Disneyland has closed opened in 1955 and has only closed three times: 1963, 2001 and 2020. Here’s a breakdown of each of those closure events:
- Disneyland closed for one day on November 23, 1963 following the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.
- Disneyland closed for one day on September 11, 2001 following the terrorist attacks on multiple U.S. sites, including the World Trade Center in New York City.
- Disneyland closed for ?? days on March 14, 2020 due to a global pandemic.
Disneyland Resort CLOSED My Statement
Here’s the truth. I drafted this article on March 11, 2020 wondering if I would ever publish it. It’s one of those eerie “If you’re reading this then . . .” phrases you hear in the movies. But today our temporary ending is “then Disneyland is closed due to health concerns.”
A couple weeks ago I didn’t imagine I would have to draft an article like this. It’s insane. I told everyone everything I knew, which was CV wasn’t a concern for Disneyland Resort at this time; business as usual.
There’s nothing “usual” about things now. I knew things were getting heated when I spent most of my last Disneyland Resort visit formulating official statements on CV with the co-founders of Disneyland with Kids.
We as Americans hate to see our lives change, it’s what brings us back to Disneyland again and again, the sense of safety and familiarity. The Walt Disney Company has been around 1923 and has been through a lot both internally and externally.
Disneyland Plans to Cancel or Not?
Many of you might be wondering if you should cancel now or delay your travel. A wait and see approach is what many people are doing. Now is the perfect time to research for upcoming events at Disneyland Resort, especially if you’re delaying your travel a bit:
- Avengers Campus opens in July 2020
- Halloween Time hits Disneyland this fall
- Christmas at Disneyland Resort
I don’t know about you but I am ready for a sense of familiarity to return. As soon as our health isn’t in jeopardy, I will be returning to Disneyland as soon as possible. Please, share your thoughts in the comments below. While we can’t connect in person at Disneyland, I want to hear from you here.