We may earn money or other compensation from the companies or products mentioned in this post.
Disneyland Halloween is a yearly event you don’t want to miss. Halloween Time at Disneyland Resort includes Disneyland Park, Disney California Adventure Park, Downtown Disney and Anaheim Resort Halloween festivities.
Disneyland Halloween Time in 2020
It goes without saying, 2020 is different. The official run of Halloween Time at Disneyland Resort should have been Halloween Time at Disneyland (predicted start date) is September 11 – October 31, 2020. but 2020 has different plans.
And that means bringing Disneyland Halloween to you! I’ve rounded up ways to make Halloween Time special even when we’re not inside the parks.
- DIY Mickey Mouse Pumpkin decor.
- 2020 Halloween Churro guide, yes even during 2020.
- Disney treats at Downtown Disney, see where I like to eat here.
- DIY Oogie Boogie Wall Art.
- Princess Halloween makeover.
- Need costume ideas? 50 easy costumes here.
Get more Halloween ears, costumes and decor here. And keep reading for all the magical and spooky things to expect in 2021.
Disneyland Halloween Time Details & Dates
Halloween Time at Disneyland Resort is a huge celebration you won’t want to miss in 2020 with returning favorites and new experiences.
Disneyland announces what is happening with Oogie Boogie Bash in 2020.
When is Halloween Time at Disneyland Resort?Halloween Time at Disneyland (predicted start date) is September 11 – October 31, 2020.
When does Disneyland put up Halloween decorations?
Decorations will be up by the start of Halloween Time, with more trickling in through mid-September. Halloween Time at Disneyland (predicted start date) is September 11 – October 31, 2020.
What are the dates for Mickey’s Halloween Party?
Mickey’s Halloween Party was replaced in 2019 by Oogie Boogie Bash – A Disney Halloween Party at Disney California Adventure Park. There will be no Mickey’s Halloween Party, but this new event takes on an updated and refreshed spin on the classics. Keep reading for more details.
What are the dates for Oogie Boogie Bash?
What parades run during Halloween Time at Disneyland?
Frightfully Fun Parade returns this season for guests attending Oogie Boogie Bash. In 2020, my guess is either a break from parades at Disneyland Park or the continuation of the new Magic Happens during the month of September, overlapping Halloween festivities.
Get your discount Disneyland tickets from our trusted partner here.
Rivaling the Christmas season, Halloween at Disneyland Resort has proven more popular every year. In 2017 when Halloween expanded to California Adventure Park, guest couldn’t get enough Halloween and we don’t expect the crowds to die down anytime soon (see what I did there?).
Will there be Halloween Screams Fireworks in 2020?
All guests can enjoy access to “Halloween Screams”, and I expect that to continue in 2020. In the past, Halloween fireworks were limited to Halloween Party nights only. “Halloween Screams” features projection and special effects show on most nights during Halloween Time, with the addition of fireworks on select nights.
Halloween Screams begins at Disneyland park at 9:30 pm. While many people camp and squeeze together in front of the castle, I suggest viewing from Main Street, U.S.A. where you can see both fireworks and projections (on select nights) with fewer crowds.
Here’s my list, in preferred viewing order, of Halloween Screams projections and fireworks spots:
- Main Street, U.S.A.- arrive here just after the first parade for fireworks and projections on Sleeping Beauty Castle and Main Street buildings, standing room only, medium to heavy crowds.
- “it’s a small world” viewing area- arrive here after the first parade for fireworks and projections on “it’s a small world”, standing room only, medium crowds.
- Rivers of America- arrive here just before fireworks for a display above Rivers of America, no projections, standing room only, low crowds.
- Sleeping Beauty Castle- I find this area to be too cramped and too close to fireworks for comfort. It also requires more time to “camp out” and secure spots.
Halloween Screams with Fireworks dates: Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights in September and October.
Halloween Screams with Projections and NO Fireworks: Monday through Thursday nights in September and October.
Disneyland Halloween Decorations at Disneyland Park
The Halloween decorations at Disneyland is what really gets visitors in the mood for Halloween Time and fall festivities—even if it is 90 degrees outside. You’ll want to make sure to explore every bit of it!
Halloween Time decorations on Main Street, U.S.A.The giant Mickey Mouse jack-o-lantern has greeted guests entering Main Street, U.S.A. for years. I absolutely love the festive vibe this display brings as you enter Disneyland Park.
Beyond the giant jack-o-lantern this area of Main Street, U.S.A. has Disney characters in Halloween costumes rotating throughout the day.
Check the Disneyland app to find out who’s in the area when you arrive. Most Halloween characters are found on Main Street and in New Orleans Square at Disneyland Park.
I love seeing the classic Disney Characters dressed up for Halloween Time!
Disneyland Halloween Time decorations in New Orleans Square. New Orleans Square’s focal point is of course The Haunted Mansion which gives this area of Disneyland Park an already spooky vibe. During Halloween Time, Haunted Mansion gets a holiday makeover by Jack Skellington himself.
This Halloween overlay turns Haunted Mansion into Haunted Mansion Holiday, which lasts through the entire holiday season and ends in early January.
Inside Haunted Mansion Holiday you’ll find Jack, Oogie Boogie and of course Sally, along with the seasonal gingerbread house with a completely new design each year.
In Zocalo Park near Mark Twain Riverboat, you’ll find a colorful display honoring the Mexican celebration of Dia De Los Muertos. This display can be found through November 2nd.
No trip to Frontierland at Halloween Time is complete without stopping by The Halloween Tree. The oak tree near Golden Horseshoe included hand-painted jack-o-lanterns and glowing orange lights.
The tree itself is inspired byThe Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury, a fantasy novel, and was dedicated to the author on October 31, 2007. You’ll find a plaque at the base of the tree commemorating its dedication: “On the night of Halloween 2007, this stately oak officially became ‘The Halloween Tree,’ realizing famed author Ray Bradbury’s dream of having his symbol for the holiday become a part of Disneyland.”
Disneyland Halloween Time decorations in Tomorrowland.
What Tomorrowland lacks in Halloween decorations, it makes up for when Space Mountain transforms into Space Mountain: Ghost Galaxy which adds creepy visual effects and might be scary for small children.
Ghost Galaxy did NOT be make an appearance in 2019, I’d be totally fine if we skipped 2020 as well.
This is one attraction I won’t miss. I much prefer Space Mountain in its original form.
Disneyland Halloween Time Food
Food is never far behind when it comes to Disneyland planning. I love exploring all the new options during Halloween Time at Disneyland Park.
In addition to the standard Mickey-shaped Halloween treats like rice Krispy treats, Halloween cake pops and more, we’ll add to this list as Disney releases more special Halloween Time food.
From Disney Parks Blog, the full foodie guide is listed as follows for 2019 and will be updated as 2020 dates approach.
Disneyland Halloween Time Churros
- Maleficent Churro (Churros Near Town Square and Sleeping Beauty Castle) – Churro covered with chocolate cookie crumbles blended with colored sugar with marshmallow dipping sauce add-on
- Pumpkin Spice Churro (Churros Near Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters) – Churro rolled in pumpkin spice sugar with caramel dipping sauce add-on
- Coco Churro (Churros Near Big Thunder Mountain Railroad) – Cinnamon-dusted churro with a spicy cocoa dipping sauce
- Bride Churro (Churros Near Haunted Mansion) – Elegantly-dressed churro in a bouquet of vanilla and sugar
- Groom Churro (Churros Near Critter Country) – Classic churro dressed in a duo of dark and milk chocolate
California Adventure Halloween Churros
- Pumpkin Spice Churro (Willie’s Churros Near Buena Vista Street) – Churro rolled in pumpkin spice sugar with caramel dipping sauce add-on
- S’mores Churro (Churros Near Redwood Creek Challenge Trail) – Churro rolled in graham cracker crumbs topped with chocolate chips and a marshmallow drizzle
- Caramel Apple Churro (Churros Near Hyperion Theater)
- Haul-O-Ween Churro (Cozy Cone Motel) – Churro rolled in chocolate cream-filled cookies with green icing, gummy worms and candies
- Horchata Churro (Churros Near Goofy’s Sky School) – Horchata churro with condensed milk
More 2020 Halloween Time Food
We will update this list as Halloween Time approaches, but these lists from 2019 give you a good idea of what to expect.
At Disneyland Park
- Candy Corn Cotton Candy
- Carnation Cafe’s Spicy Fried Chicken Sandwich
- Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor’s Trick-or-Treat Sundae Duo
- Jolly Holiday Bakery Café’s Toasted Salsa Roja Chicken Sandwich Combo, Sweet Potato Hand Pie, Cruella de Vil brownie, Graveyard Cupcake, Spiced bundt cake, layered pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin muffin, mummy macaron.
- Refreshment Corner’s Hades Dog
- Plaza Inn’s Monster Halloween Cupcake, Chocolate-Coffee Yule Log, Halloween Minnie Mouse Cake
- Red Rose Taverne’s Black Rose dessert, Pumpkin Spice Shake
- Galactic Grill’sDarth by Chocolate Parfait, Blood Orange Slush, Loaded Fleet Fries
- Alien Pizza Planet’s Supernova Special: Delicium 639 Pizza, Flavus Tropicus Parfait, Vampire Alien Macaron
- Rancho del Zocalo’s Mexican Hot Chocolate, Pan Dulce Ice Cream Sandwich, The Long-Forgotten Dueling Tacos, Frozen Abuelita Horchata, Orange Sugar Skull Pot de Crème
- Golden Horseshoe’s Churro Sundae’s Churro Sundae (pictured above)
Disneyland Halloween Decorations at California Adventure Park
Halloween decorations at California Adventure Park are amazing and we seriously can’t get enough! We start with the entrance to California Adventure Park with Oogie Boogie greeting us as we enter Halloween Time at Disneyland Resort.
Disneyland Halloween Time decorations on Buena Vista Street. California Adventure is decorated with purple bunting and banners, along with black bats and night time lights which really makes Buena Vista Street come alive.
Take a look inside the windows along Buena Vista Street for incredible displays of candy and Halloween merchandise. Inside Trolley Treats you’ll find all kinds of seasonal candy apples, cake pops, rice krispy treats and so much more.
The Headless Horseman has arrived on the left side of Buena Vista Street. At night, fog covers the area for even spookier photo opps. Hand a PhotoPass photographer your camera or get Disney MaxPass for free PhotoPass.
Halloween Time decorations in Paradise Gardens Park. I love the culture we always see in the park, especially Plaza de la Familia.
This area in Paradise Gardens Park is a welcome retreat where you can let the kids color, listen to live music nearby, meet Miguel from Coco and so much more.
Plus, there’s always good Disneyland Halloween Time food just around the corner.
Halloween Time decorations in Cars Land. Truly the focal point of Halloween Time at Disneyland Resort is Cars Land’s transformation into Haul-O-Ween “Radiator Screams“. Even the residents have “car-stumes” for the occasion.
Luigi’s Rollickin’ Roadsters gets a simple Halloween overlay with new music and decor as Luigi’s Honkin’ Haul-O-Ween. Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree also gets an overlay with new music during Mater’s Junkyard JamBOOree. Even the residence of “Radiator Screams” are dressed up for the occasion.
Don’t forget to take your picture in front of the Cars Land post card, wishing you a Happy Haul-O-Ween!
Music plays a big role in Cars Land at Halloween Time. You’ll hear festive trunk-or-treat tunes as your stroll through Radiator Screams, along with disorder in the court as a mad scientist gives the old courthouse new life.Which one of these Haul-O-Ween faux movie posters are you most excited to see?
Jack-Oil-Lanterns fill Filmore’s yard.
There’s no shortage of places to take pictures throughout Cars Land, this repurposed car from Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride makes a creepy addition to the front of Flo’s V8 Cafe.
Ramone celebrates Day of the Dead in his car detailing shop. Stop for a photo here.
Disneyland Halloween Time decorations in Hollywood Land. Each night, Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! is transformed as scary creatures are on the loose in Guardians of the Galaxy Monsters After Dark. FASTPASS distribution for this Halloween overlay begins once regular FASTPASSES run out. Keep an eye on your Disney MaxPass selection.
Lighting changes inside and outside, along with different music and visual effects during the ride.
Disneyland Halloween at California Adventure Food
If you thought all the decor and Halloween themeing were spot on, wait until you see all the food and treats available at Halloween Time inside California Adventure. I am so ready to dig into all the Halloween Time food, aren’t you? Let’s explore.
This season is entirely different from the rest. What follows is what generally happens during Halloween Time. More updates will come as soon as we get official word from Disney.
Some of my top picks to try include:
- Minnie Witch Shake, a mint chocolate chip shake with whipped cream and chocolate cream-filled cookie ears, available at Schmoozies in Hollywood Land
- Cozy Cone Motel: Slow Burnin’ Mac & Cheese Cone
- Plus tons of Halloween treats throughout the park, like these Halloween churros
- Oogie Boogie Funnel Cake Fries from Award Wieners in Hollywood Land and more food to explore. All photos courtesy of Disneyland Resort. I can’t wait to try these out! More updates coming, see Disney Parks Blog for compete list and description.
Oogie Boogie Bash Halloween Party at Disneyland Resort
Mickey’s Halloween Party ended its run in 2018. Now you can join us for Oogie Boogie Bash – A Disney Halloween Party at Disney California Adventure Park.
Disneyland Halloween at Downtown Disney
Downtown Disney District has started to catch up with the rest of Disneyland Resort with holiday decor and ambiance. The festive fall landscape is a great backdrop for Halloween photo ops. Remember, parking for Downtown Disney is charged at an hourly rate, but you can also get validation with select purchases.
Disneyland Halloween at Downtown Disney Dining
Disneyland Halloween Time Shopping at Downtown Disney. Shopping for Halloween at Downtown Disney is probably one of my favorite activities, with World of Disney shopping being my favorite.
These dia de los muertos ears at shirt arrived just in time to celebrate!
Disneyland Halloween at Hotels & More
Trick or Treat Tea at Disneyland Hotel. Inside Steakhouse 55, guests can enjoy a boo-tiful assortment of traditional tea options and delicious Halloween-themed treats. This popular options can be booked through Disney dining 60 days in advance and does sell out quickly.
There’s SO much to do, see and eat at Disneyland Resort during Halloween Time. What do you love most about Halloween Time at Disneyland Resort?