This is the Simple Guide to Disneyland MaxPass. Learn how MaxPass digital FASTPASS has changed how and what you ride at Disneyland Resort. Simple explanations so you can know before you go to Disneyland this year.
All the details on the upgraded Disneyland FASTPASS. This article is updated for 2021 Disneyland vacations. Learn the simple steps to buying Disneyland MaxPass, using it for the first time and getting the most out of this paid upgrade.
What is Disneyland MaxPass?
Disney MaxPass is a paid, digital FASTPASS system at Disneyland Resort which also allows unlimited PhotoPass downloads.
Essentially, Disney MaxPass lets you skip longer waits for select attractions and enter a line set aside for MaxPass and FASTPASS users. This line is given priority access and you often wait in a much shorter line, with expedited boarding.
I use Disney MaxPass every time I go to Disneyland Resort. I purchased an Annual Pass that includes Disney MaxPass and have even been known to buy MaxPass for my friends and family when they’re with me so they can get hooked on this amazing tool too!
How is this different from the FASTPASS system?
Disney MaxPass is very similar to the paper FASTPASS we’ve been using for years. MaxPass still allows you to return to select attractions at the Disneyland Resort for your appointed ride time, just like the old FASTPASS.
But with Disney MaxPass, you select attractions through the Disneyland mobile app. This is a huge convenience factor. You no longer need to walk from place to place to secure a FASTPASS, making your plans totally streamlined. But there’s so much more to it than saving your tired feet—keep reading for all the details.
How much is Disneyland MaxPass?
Disneyland MaxPass is $20 per person (ticket), per day.
This is an increase from the introductory price of $10. Compare this to other “front of the line” passes, like those offered at Universal Studios, which cost nearly 4xs the amount.
Should I Buy Disney MaxPass with my ticket?
You should certainly purchase Disney MaxPass, but I suggest doing your research first. While you can now add MaxPass to your discount tickets, selection and availability can vary. Check to see if your kids will want to ride (or are tall enough to ride) all the attractions that offer MaxPass…more on that below.
Get your Disneyland discount tickets from our partner, before heading over to Disneyland Resort. Plus, enjoy an extra $10 off when booking a hotel stay of two nights or more along with your discount Disneyland tickets! Use promo code DisneylandPlan at checkout.
Who needs Disney MaxPass?
Anyone ages 3+ in your group who wishes to ride the attractions associated with MaxPass. Those attractions are listed below, along with height requirements.
If you have riders who aren’t interested in these rides or tall enough, you can definitely get MaxPass for just some members of your group. I’ve talked in detail about how to combine the popular Rider Switch program with Disney MaxPass here. There are also a few occasions when you might not need Disney MaxPass, more details below.
When can I buy Disneyland MaxPass?
I suggest purchasing discount tickets here, now with Disney MaxPass. Otherwise you can buy it as you enter the parks on the morning of your first visit.
Step by Step Guide to Buying Disney MaxPass
First, get discount tickets along with additional savings (use promo code DisneylandPlan) and purchase the ticket option with MaxPass. No extra steps required! As soon as you walk in the parks each day, you can select your first MaxPass attraction via the Disneyland App.
If you opt to buy on the day of your visit:
- Download the official Disneyland app. The icon looks like the image below, with blue surrounding a white castle. Create an account and enter credit card information for easier purchasing on the day of your arrival. Note you will need this credit card with you or the security code from the back to complete your purchase.
- Scan your park tickets into the Disneyland app. If you have e-tickets, simply scan the barcode from your e-ticket into the app. Assign each ticket a name for easier MaxPass selection during your trip.
- Enter Disneyland or Disney California Adventure park each morning and tap “Get FASTPASS with Disney MaxPass” and continue until you have purchased for everyone in your group. Children under 3 will not need to purchase Disney MaxPass and can simply enter the line with parents (as long as they meet the height requirements).
Simple Guide to Using Disneyland MaxPass
If you’ve followed the steps above, you now have the Disneyland app installed on your mobile device, loaded tickets into the app and have walked through the gates and purchased Disney MaxPass. Once your entire party enters the gates, you can select a Disney MaxPass to enjoy lower wait times and more attractions.
- Select “get FASTPASS with Disney MaxPass.”
- Choose Disneyland or California Adventure.
- Choose which attraction you’d like to experience and note the appointed time. You’ll also see here when you can secure another FASTPASS. Return to this screen by tapping on “my plans” at any time.
- Visit the attraction during your FASTPASS window and enter the FASTPASS line.
- Scan your park ticket or mobile app for entry and repeat the process.
Bonus MaxPass Tip What happens if I see this “Replacement FASTPASS” where my MaxPass selection was?
The replacement FASTPASS means the attraction you originally selected went down temporarily during your redemption period.
You can now use this to enter the FASTPASS line for select attractions. I suggest saving it to redeem later in the day when FASTPASSES are harder to come by. Plus, if your original ride is now up and running, you might be able to grab a new reservation window and still keep this replacement for another ride.
Must Read Simple Tips for Disney MaxPass
Use multiple mobile devices. Your tickets can be scanned into more than one Disney account. For example, if a couple is taking their children to Disneyland, both Mom and Dad can have the Disneyland app, sign into their (separate or shared) Disney account, scan tickets into their respective accounts and still access all the same information. This means if Mom takes the toddler back to the hotel for a nap, Dad can stay with the older kids and utilize MaxPass too. This also works well for larger, extended family groups or friends.
Update your data plan before arrival. Disneyland wifi hotspots are listed here, but it’s even better if you have unlimited data and don’t need to rely on Disney’s wifi at all.
It’s ok if your plans change. Inside the MaxPass section of the app you can cancel a FASTPASS if your plans change.
Want to take a break? You can secure MaxPass reservations from either park, and even from your hotel room, as long as you have previously entered one park that day. Making MaxPass reservations while your kids nap or swim is such a huge bonus! PS See all my Disneyland Hotel reviews here.
Read even more tips on my Facebook page discussion about this very topic!
What rides have Disneyland MaxPass?
A variety of attractions allow you to “skip the line” while using Disney MaxPass. At Disneyland Park, Disney MaxPass includes the following.
- Autopia in Tomorrowland
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (40 inches or taller, Rider Switch available)
- Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters (no minimum height requirement, Rider Switch available)
- Haunted Mansion (no minimum height requirement)
- Indiana Jones Adventure (46 inches or taller, Rider Switch available )
- “it’s a small world” (no minimum height requirement)
- Matterhorn Bobsleds (42 inches or taller, Rider Switch available)
- Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin (no minimum height requirement)Space Mountain (40 inches or taller, Rider Switch available, Single Rider available)
- Splash Mountain (40 inches or taller, Rider Switch available, Single Rider available)
- Star Tours-The Adventure Continues (40 inches or taller, Rider Switch available, Single Rider available)
Curious about the seating arrangements and who can sit by who at Disneyland? See seat photos and seating details here.
At California Adventure Park, Disney MaxPass includes:
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! (40 inches or taller, Rider Switch available)
- Goofy’s Sky School (42 inches or taller, Rider Switch available, Single Rider available)
- Grizzly River Run (42 inches or taller, Rider Switch available, Single Rider available)
- Incredicoaster (48 inches or taller, Rider Switch available, Single Rider available)
- Monsters, Inc. Mike and Sully to the Rescue!
- Radiator Springs Racers (40 inches or taller, Rider Switch available, Single Rider available)
- Soarin’ Around the World (40 inches or taller, Rider Switch available, Single Rider available)
- Toy Story Midway Mania (no minimum height requirement)
More Disney MaxPass Answers
How many tickets can I have stored in my Disneyland App? You may manage your entire group’s tickets. I have personally linked 11 tickets in my Disneyland account and have not heard of a limit. If you’re going with a large group like a family reunion or cheer competition, I suggest having each chaperone/parent manage a few tickets to keep the app running quick and smooth.
Can I still use the free FASTPASS option? Yes, you can still use the old, free FASTPASS option but instead of a paper FASTPASS being printed, the FASTPASS will be tied to your ticket.
Can I make MaxPass reservations in advance? Unlike FastPass+ at Walt Disney World, Disneyland Resort guests may NOT make advance reservations. Disney MaxPass reservations at Disneyland are only made on the day-of. You must walk in the park and have all tickets scanned at the gate to use and/or purchase MaxPass.
How many MaxPass reservations can I have at one time? Reservations work almost identically to the old paper FASTPASS. You get one reservation at a time and can reserve another at the appointed time. Yes, this does mean you can hold multiple FASTPASS return times, depending on the return time. Detailed in-use strategies here.
Are MaxPass options at each park linked? Yes! FASTPASSES at both parks are linked for traditional and MaxPass.
Can I get a MaxPass for a ride in California Adventure when I’m at Disneyland? Yes, you can secure reservations from either park, and even from your hotel room, as long as you have previously entered one park that day.
Is Disney MaxPass included in Disneyland Resort Hotel stay? No, MaxPass is not included for guests of Disneyland Hotel, Grand Californian Hotel & Spa or Paradise Pier Hotel. Certain level Annual Passholders have it included, but that’s it.
Can I get a FASTPASS via the MaxPass app for World of Color and Fantasmic? Yes, you can get a FASTPASS ticket for World of Color and Fantasmic via MaxPass. They are still “free” and will not count against your FASTPASS for rides.
Is there a limited allotment of FASTPASSES specifically for MaxPass users? The number of FASTPASSES for say, Radiator Springs Racers, is the same as it always has been. There is not a set amount reserved for MaxPass users or kiosk users. They are still first come, first serve. When they’re gone, they’re gone for everyone.
What People Say About Disney MaxPass
I love MaxPass!! It saves so much time! It got busier later on, especially once we went over to Disneyland, but we still did so much and the lines weren’t as horrible as I expected. I will say we’ve never seen it that busy, but we’ve always gone during slow times. MaxPass made it so we could still do everything we wanted.-Whitney E.
Want even more MaxPass resources? These are some of the best from trusted Disneyland focused travel writers:
- 21 Disneyland MaxPass Questions Answered from Trips with Tykes
- Tested Tips for Using MaxPass from Mom Rewritten
Will you be using Disney MaxPass when you go to Disneyland—continue the conversation below.