We may earn money or other compensation from the companies or products mentioned in this post.
All the details on the new Disneyland FASTPASS, Disney MaxPass program with digital options now live at Disneyland Resort.
Disneyland FASTPASS History
Paper FASTPASSES will no longer be distributed! FASTPASSES are now tied to your park ticket! Make sure you write names on the backs of tickets and keep them in a safe place for scanning at FASTPASS return lines. To secure a FASTPASS reservation just go to the kiosk as usual, it will print a reminder, but your FASTPASS info will be stored on your ticket instead.
In October 2015 Disneyland began quietly testing MagicBand and FastPass+ technology. Riders entering the Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy FASTPASS line were directed to scan their FASTPASS barcode upon entering the queue. When the light turns from red to green, indicating a valid FASTPASS, they are admitted to the FASTPASS line.
Get your Disneyland discount tickets from our partner, Get Away Today before heading over to Disneyland Resort.
Plus, enjoy an extra $10 off when booking a hotel stay of two nights or more along with your discount Disneyland tickets! Use promo code Happiest10 at checkout.
Here’s everything you need to know for the new Disneyland FASTPASS system, Disney MaxPass.
What is the New Disney MaxPass?
Disney MaxPass is very similar to the paper FASTPASSES we’ve been using for years, allowing you to make a reservation for select attractions at the Disneyland Resort.
Disney MaxPass, your new FASTPASS reservations will be tied to your ticket via the Disneyland mobile app and/or your Disneyland Annual Pass. Disneyland does not use MagicBands like they do at Walt Disney World.
Disney MaxPass the New FASTPASS
The first phase of Disneyland’s new digital FASTPASS is called Disney MaxPass. Here’s what you need to know:
- Disney MaxPass is $10 per person (ticket) per day at an introductory price
- You can purchase Disney MaxPass once you enter the parks for the day
- Disney MaxPass allows you to secure FASTPASS reservations through the Disneyland app
- With Disney MaxPass you will use your mobile device to book and redeem FASTPASSES (except World of Color and Fantasmic!)
- You may manage your entire group’s (we’ve had guests linking up to 11 people/tickets per account) FASTPASSES on one mobile device
- Your Disney MaxPass does not activate until you enter the park
- There are no advance reservations allowed, only day of reservations
- You may reserve FASTPASSES while in Disneyland Park for an attraction at California Adventure and vise-versa
- The lines you enter when redeeming Disney MaxPass FASTPASS is the same line as kiosk FASTPASS holders
- The one FASTPASS at a time rule still applies (entire resort, not per park)
- Disney MaxPass also allows you unlimited PhotoPass downloads (think ride photos and any pics taken by Disney photographers)
- If your phone runs out of battery, scan your park ticket instead
- Inside the MaxPass section of the app you can cancel a FASTPASS if your plans change
Get our complete Disneyland guide, How To Disneyland, available on Amazon.
Disneyland “Disney MaxPass” Q&A
1. Can I still use the old FASTPASS options? Yes, you can still use the old, free FASTPASS option but instead of a paper FASTPASS being printed, the FASTPASS will be tied to your ticket.
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
- Haunted Mansion
- “it’s a small world”
- Indiana Jones Adventure
- Matterhorn Bobsleds
- Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin
- Space Mountain
- Splash Mountain
- Star Tours
At California Adventure:
- Goofy’s Sky School
- Grizzly River Run
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT!
- Radiator Springs Racers
- Soarin’ Around the World
- Toy Story Midway Mania
6. Are FASTPASS at each park linked? Yes! FASTPASSES at both parks are linked for traditional and MaxPass.
7. Is Disney MaxPass included in Disneyland Resort Hotel stay? No, MaxPass is not included for guests of Disneyland Hotel, Grand Californian Hotel & Spa or Paradise Pier Hotel. Certain level Annual Passholders have it included, but that’s it.
8. Can I get a FASTPASS via the MaxPass app for World of Color and Fantasmic? No, as of this update, you must physically go to the FASTPASS distribution kiosk and obtain a return ticket for World of Color and Fantasmic.
9. Is there a limited allotment of FASTPASSES specifically for MaxPass users? The number of FASTPASSES for say, Radiator Springs Racers, is the same as it always has been. There is not a set amount reserved for MaxPass users or kiosk users. They are still first come, first serve. When they’re gone, they’re gone for everyone.
What People Say About Disney MaxPass
I love MaxPass!! It saves so much time! It got busier later on, especially once we went over to Disneyland, but we still did so much and the lines weren’t as horrible as I expected. I will say we’ve never seen it that busy, but we’ve always gone during slow times. MaxPass made it so we could still do everything we wanted. -Whitney E.
Want even more MaxPass resources? These are some of the best from trusted Disneyland focused travel writers:
- 21 Disneyland MaxPass Questions Answered from Trips with Tykes
- Tested Tips for Using MaxPass from Mom Rewritten
Why I Think Disneyland’s MaxPass Is A Waste Of Money from This Crazy Adventure Called Life
Will you be using Disney MaxPass when you go to Disneyland? Continue the conversation below!
Disneyland expert who also loves the beach, flip flops and pink nail polish.