If you’re a runner, I bet you’re thrilled to see the return of runDisney at Disneyland Resort. You’ve probably got your training schedule and have participated in other local races or even some runDisney at Walt Disney World. But what about us non-runners? What’s a non-runner to do during runDisney races at Disneyland?
This article covers:
- Getting ready for your first runDisney race at Disneyland
- Cheering on a runner participating in runDisney at Disneyland
- Volunteering for runDisney races at Disneyland
- Being a regular guest during runDisney weekends at Disneyland
- Booking the best hotel and ticket deals during runDisney weekends
Disneyland runDisney Race Dates
First let’s get into the basics including dates and info for runDisney races at Disneyland Resort.
Disneyland RunDisney Dates
Disneyland Half Marathon Info
- February 7, 2023 registration opens for Club runDisney Gold & Platinum Members
- February 14, 2023 registration opens for the general public
- February 17, 2023 registration opens for all virtual events
- January 11-14, 2024 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend
The Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend is hosting multiple race distances including a 5K, 10K, Half Marathon and Challenge. The Coast to Coast challenge is also returning in 2024 for those who really love to run.
Disneyland Halloween Half Marathon Info
- September 5-8, 2024 Disneyland Halloween Half Marathon Weekend
This Halloween Season, join in on four days of events, including yoga, Kids Races, 5K, 10K, Half Marathon and Challenge, all themed to Halloween.
Your First runDisney Race at Disneyland
If you want to runDisney at Disneyland, the first and most important thing you should know is these races sell out fast! Yes, people actually pay to run! So before you even start your training or daydreaming about that cute runDisney outfit you have in mind you must get registered.
- Mark your calendars! February 14, 2023 registration opens for the general public and since this is your first race, I am guessing you’re a part of this group.
- Start daydreaming about your cute runDisney outfit. Yes, I put this as number 2, ahead of training because if I were to do a runDisney race, this would be the motivation to get me to training. Start browsing here for some runDisney outfit inspo.
- Develop a training plan. Or do it the easy way and download a training plan directly from runDisney, they’ve done the easy work—now you get to running!
Yes, it’s that easy to get started. Or to dream about getting started. I am not a runner, so the actual running I will leave to you. But let’s fast forward into the logistics of race weekend, all the way down to race day.
Race Weekend is just that, a weekend long event with a Health & Fitness Expo (where you’ll likely pick up your race packet). Your race packet comes with your runDisney bib, an informational sheet and possibly some race swag or sponsor merchandise.
There are also various race types which I’ll list here once they’re announced, even some for kids! The whole family can participate. And yes, you will run through some of Disneyland Resort on the race course. While the 2024 runDisney Disneyland course hasn’t been released, this look back at an older race route gives us some details.
There are also character meet and greets (or waves as you pass by) along the route. Lots of racers like to stop and snap a pic during their race.
As you can see this section is completely thorough on what to expect when you do your fist Disneyland runDisney race (can you sense the sarcasm?) because I know everything about it. Actually, I am just good at gathering information and presenting it in an easy way. But what I really do know is the planning aspect of your trip.
Cheering On runDisney at Disneyland
If you want to wake up early to chEAR on your runner, this section will be updated with spectator information as the race approaches. Note that it will most likely not be inside the theme parks, and instead be along the public street route and/or Downtown Disney District.
You can also visit the CHEARS area at the Health & Fitness Expo during the race weekend to create some fun signs to cheer on your runner. And don’t forget to snap lots of pics as your runner goes by!
Volunteer for runDisney Races at Disneyland
Now this is what I’m talking about! I’ve been waiting to volunteer at a runDisney race for quite a while! I am so excited to have the races back so I can join in the fun without running. Early morning hours are a-okay with me.
As a volunteer you can expect to join in one of many roles like:
- assisting with race day operations
- support sponsor charities
- distribute race bibs
- Health & Fitness Expo volunteers
- stationing water stops along the course
- awarding finisher medals
In the past, Disney has used this website to secure volunteers for runDisney weekends, but it currently redirects to the main website: volunteerambassadorteam.com. I will update the volunteer section when more information is shared.
Regular Guests During runDisney at Disneyland
If you’re headed to Disneyland during a runDisney weekend and wonder how it will impact your trip, I am here to ease your pain!
Planning ahead is your best bet. You might see increased prices for hotels, but as long as you plan 6-12 months in advance you’ll get the best rates and locations possible. Crowd levels during events are always a concern. Disneyland now manages crowd levels with the reservation system. Again, as long as you’re booking early you have no need to worry.
Come with your Disneyland Plan in hand and you’re sure to ride all the things that are most important to you!
Discounts for runDisney Races at Disneyland
Whether you’re visiting Disneyland as a runner, a non-runner, or a regular guest I want to help you make the most of your Disneyland vacation.
One Day or Multiple Days at Disneyland
The best way to get ONE day Disneyland tickets is with my partners who offer REFUNDABLE one day tickets. These tickets are date-specific and perfect for spending the day of your race at Disneyland Resort. If you can only go one day, it’s best to get the most flexible option here.
If you have more days, I suggest a 3 day Park Hopper ticket. The biggest discount on Disneyland tickets are available right here with my partners. Choose the most days to lower your cost per day.
Most visitors during runDisney weekends also want to add a hotel to their stay. It’s super smart to stay not only the day before the race but that night as well. No one wants to be packing and unpacking during all the excitement of race prep and recovery.
Here are some of my favorite Disneyland area hotels for race weekend:
- Best Disneyland budget hotels
- Disneyland area Marriott hotels
- Hilton hotels near Disneyland
- Disneyland Hotel
- Grand Californian Hotel
Will you be joining in on runDisney races at Disneyland Resort—I want to hear about it, plus ask your questions below and I’ll do my best to get those answers for you.