Here’s what happens on rainy days at Disneyland, including which rides close, what shows still operate and how to survive rainy days during your vacation.
Table of Contents
Disneyland Rainy Day Quick Tips
Get fast answers for your rainy day weather forecast at Disneyland with these quick tips.
- Disneyland Resort is open on rainy days. Disneyland Resort does not close during rain storms.
- You can change your Disneyland theme park reservations (subject to availability) if rain is in the forecast.
- It is no longer empty or low crowds on rainy days at Disneyland! This is outdated information that is no longer accurate post-2020.
One thing is for certain, surviving rain at Disneyland Resort is possible, even if El Nino, La Niña or other rainstorms threaten your Disneyland Vacation. Keep readying for how to prep, what to do at Disneyland in the rain, special perks just for rainy days and where to seek refuge during a downpour at Disneyland Resort.
Does It Rain at Disneyland?
Yes, it does rain at Disneyland. The most rainy months at Disneyland include December, January, February, and late March (according to Alamac.com). But remember, this is Southern California and we like to make a really big deal about things, even when it rains just a tiny bit. When a rain puddle forms in Southern California we greet it with both celebration and dread.
Is Disneyland Open In the Rain?
Yes, Disneyland is open 365 days a year and stays open during rain storms. Certain outdoor attractions, shows and entertainment may not operate during the rain, but most things operate as normal.
Does Disneyland Close During the Rain?
No, Disneyland is open 365 days a year and stays open during rain storms. Certain outdoor attractions, shows and entertainment may not operate during the rain, but most things operate as normal. Keep reading for more details.
Disneyland Rides That Stay Open in the Rain
There are many indoor attractions and outdoor rides that remain open when it rains at Disneyland Resort, along with a lot of indoor experience options. Rainy days are really great days to get Disney Genie+ because it’ll get you quicker access to some of your favorite rides without waiting too long outside in the rain.
Open at Disneyland Park on Rainy Days
These outdoor and indoor attractions are typically open during rainy days at Disneyland, but of course the severity of the storm can impact operations:
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
- Disneyland Railroad
- Dumbo the Flying Elephant
- Enchanted Tiki Room
- Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
- Haunted Mansion
- Indiana Jones Adventure
- “it’s a small world“
- Jungle Cruise
- King Arthur Carrousel
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
- Matterhorn Bobsleds
- Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway
- Millenium Falcon: Smugglers Run
- Mr Toad’s Wild Rider
- Peter Pan’s Flight
- Pinocchio’s Daring Journey
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin
- Snow White’s Enchanted Wish
- Space Mountain
- Splash Mountain
- Star Tours
- Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance
Open at California Adventure Park on Rainy Days
These attractions are typically open during rainy days at California Adventure, but of course the severity of the storm can impact operations. Remember, shorter lines aren’t always a thing on rainy days but having Genie+ can help.
- Grizzly River Run
- Guardians of the Galaxy—Mission: BREAKOUT!
- Jessie’s Critter Carousel
- The Little Mermaid ~Ariel’s Undersea Adventure
- Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree
- Monsters, Inc. Mike and Sulley to the Rescue
- Pixar Pal-A-Round
- Radiator Springs Racers (sometimes closes in heavier ran)
- Red Car Trolley
- Soarin’ Around the World
- Toy Story Midway Mania
WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure
When in doubt, ask a Cast Member or check the Disneyland app for quick resources on what’s closed during inclement weather.
Disneyland Rides That Close in the Rain
There are more open attractions than closed ones when it rains at Disneyland Resort. But consider that these rides will likely not open unless the weather changes. And yes, if the clouds part they typically will open up later on in the day.
Closed at Disneyland Park on Rainy Days
These attractions are typically closed during rainy days at Disneyland, but of course the severity of the storm can impact operations:
- Alice in Wonderland
- Astro Orbitor
Casey Jr. Circus Train
- Chip ‘n’ Dale’s GADGETcoaster
- Davy Crockett’s Explorer Canoes
- Mad Tea Party
- Main Street Vehicles
- Pirate’s Lair on Tom Sawyer Island
- Sailing Ship Columbia
- Storybook Land Canal Boats
Closed at California Adventure Park on Rainy Days
These attractions are typically closed during rainy days at California Adventure, but of course the severity of the storm can impact operations:
- Golden Zephyr
- Goofy’s Sky School
- Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind
- Jumpin’ Jellyfish
- Luigi’s Rollickin’ Roadsters
- Radiator Springs Racers (in heavier rain)
- Redwood Creek Challenge Trail
- Silly Symphony Swings
Parades and Shows on Disneyland Rainy Days
Some of the best reasons to head to Disneyland are the entertainment offerings throughout the year. But will rain shut down the Disneyland parade? Will World of Color still run when it rains? And will fireworks go off during rainy days. I’ve got the answers!
Do Parades Run on Rainy Days at Disneyland?
Parades do not run in the rain at Disneyland—and they might not even run if the ground is wet. It’s all about the safety of the performers who will be walking, dancing and skipping along the parade route. If conditions are not safe, the parade will be canceled. See which parade is currently showing at Disneyland here.
During rainy days at Disneyland you might see a special adaptation—Mickey’s Rainy Day Cavalcade so you can wave and say hello. It’s a small constellation prize when headliner parades are cancelled due to safety and weather, but an experience you will only see during times when rain hits Disneyland.
Do Fireworks Run During the Rain at Disneyland?
Fireworks will be cancelled during rain or wind at Disneyland, but there may be a projection show instead. In fact, many of the latest Disneyland Fireworks shows are actually projection shows with fireworks added on select nights, so you’re usually getting a full show anyway! See which projection show is currently showing at Disneyland here.
Does World of Color Run on Rainy Days?
Generally, yes World of Color will run on rainy days. Keep in mind that wind and other weather will affect the way view and see the projections on the water. It might not be the best show to watch during rain but at least it’s usually happening. See which World of Color show is currently showing at California Adventure here.
Does Fantasmic Run During the Rain at Disneyland?
It’s hard to give a definitive answer here sometimes the show will run and sometimes the show will be canceled only moments before. Please leave a comment if you were there during the rain in Fantasmic was playing or not.
What other Disneyland Shows Run on Rainy Days?
Rainy days at Disneyland make a perfect time to watch a show or other entertainment, especially when they’re indoors. Here are some of my favorite ways to seek refuge from the rain at Disneyland.
Best Shows & Attractions To Visit on Rainy Days:
- Animation Academy inside the Animation Building at California Adventure’s Hollywood Land
- Anna and Elsa’s Royal Welcome inside the Animation Building at California Adventure’s Hollywood Land
- The Disney Gallery on Main Street, U.S.A.
- Disney Junior Dance Party at California Adventure’s Hollywood Land
- The Disneyland story presents Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln on Main Street, U.S.A.
- Main Street Cinema on Main Street, U.S.A.
- Royal Hall to meet Princesses in Fantasyland
- Mickey’s House in Mickey’s Toontown
- Mickey’s Philharmonic at California Adventure’s Hollywood Land
- Minnie’s House in Mickey’s Toontown
- Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough (the entrance is on the Fantasyland side with a sign, near this statue)
- Storytelling at Royal Theatre in Fantasyland
- Turtle Talk with Crush inside the Animation Building at California Adventure’s Hollywood Land
- Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room in Adventureland
Where to Eat at Disneyland in the Rain
Disneyland is the king of comfort food and on a rainy day, it’s time to indulge a little! From warm, indoor retreats to food that will warm you up and hit the spot, we’ve got it all.
My favorite Disneyland rainy day food includes:
- Jolly Holiday combo featuring grilled cheese and tomato soup from Jolly Holiday Bakery on Main Street, U.S.A. (outdoor seating)
- Soup in a bread bowl from various locations, but my favorite is at San Fransokyo Square in California Adventure (mobile order available)
- Hot Cocoa from various locations like Starbucks, but my favorite spot is from Jazz Kitchen Express in Downtown Disney
- Fried chicken from The Plaza Inn on Main Street, U.S.A. (indoor seating available)
- Famous Disneyland corn dog from Stagedoor Cafe, then take it next door to eat inside at Golden Horseshoe
- Loaded Baked Potato from Troubadour Tavern
My favorite Disneyland rainy day indoor restaurants include:
- Black Tap at Downtown Disney, no reservations needed
- Blue Bayou inside Pirates of the Caribbean, reservations required
- Carnation Cafe, reservations required
- Carthay Circle Restaurant, reservations required
- Docking Bay 7, no reservations needed, mobile order accepted
- Flo’s V8 Cafe, no reservations needed, mobile order accepted
- Goofy’s Kitchen, reservations required
- Lamplight Lounge, reservations required
- Magic Key Terrace, reservations required
- Princess Breakfast Adventures at Napa Rose, reservations required
- Red Rose Tavern, no reservations needed, mobile order accepted
- River Belle Terrace, reservations required
- Splitsville, no reservations needed
- Storytellers Cafe, reservations required
- Tortilla Jo’s, no reservations needed
Gear for Disneyland Rainy Days
If you’re prepared for the rain you will have left most of your worries behind already! Stay comfortable in the wet weather with a long raincoat that covers your bottom. This will help keep you dry even when sitting on wet seats. I have a raincoat similar to this one that I wear to Disney in the rain.
Here’s more of my favorite rainy day gear from shopDisney. Like this Minnie Mouse rain coat.
They have things in kids and adult sizes, so everyone can be on theme, even in the rain. I also suggest a bright color or patterned umbrella so you can be spotted easily in a sea of umbrellas. I’ve also really liked these
Shoes are another huge consideration. Crocks and flip flops are nice but will leave your feet wet. I love my pink rain boots and wear them any chance I get. At the very least pack two pairs of shoes and extra socks to change into when the water weighs you down. Keep them dry with a locker rental and change into them as needed. You might even consider brining extra, dry clothes in your locker to wear once the rain subsides.
Baby in a stroller? No problem! This stroller rain cover is the perfect solution, folds up easily and quickly sets up on most strollers. Another must have is gallon size ziplock baggies. Stash a few in your bag to protect anything you want to keep dry.
More Disneyland Rainy Day Tips
To round out this article, I want to add a few more things I discussed with a Disneyland Plan client who had to decide between a really rainy day or a sorta rainy day (spoiler: they both ended up being RAINY!). Here’s parts of that email from me below.
- Rain can make for a really unique memory, as long as everyone is prepared to have a super good attitude.
- Bring a change of shoes and socks for everyone.
- Bring towels for afterwards.
- Get good ponchos (long, you don’t want to sit on wet seats), wear layers.
- Buy hand warmers and/or these (you can find them at Target/Walmart in the foot/first aid area)
- Rent a large locker or two when you first arrive and keep dry stuff in there.
- Almost all quick service places have coffee, hot cocoa so mobile order often!